Chapter One

"Look, you're nice, but I really don't want a boyfriend right now." I say to Matt as I begin to walk away. He grabs my wrist and pulls be back to him.

"Nobody says to to Matt Mikenly. Understood babe?" He asks a rhetorical question as he smashes his lips to mine.

"I just did. Now please! Leave me alone!" I try to shake his grasp but my frail body won't be free.

"Leave her alone." An Irish accented voice says from a figure leaning on a car.

"Why should I?" Matt asks. He looks over at the figure and grips my arm tighter. I let out a small yelp in pain. The figure comes out into the light and I am captivated.

He has to be at least six foot five with straight hair that is standing up ontop of his perfectly shaped head. His skin is light but not to light. It's perfect. His eyes are a dark green with perfectly shaped eyebrows and lips. He is truly beautiful and I can't help but stare. I don't remember every seeing him before.

"I believe this lovely young lady told you to leave her alone." He says simply. It takes my mind a second from hearing the astonishing words I rarely hear. 'lovely young lady'. I'm not usually thought I as beautiful. Or lovely for that matter. I have dark brown, stringy hair, boring hazel eyes and annoying freckles. Not to mention, I'm only five foot two and very skinny and weak. My hair is usually up in a bun and all messy with my glasses on.

Matt seemed nice until I realized he was a scummy player.

I must have zoned out for a second because I looked over at Matt and the boy was very close to him.

"Don't mess with her." He leaned in and said something I couldn't hear. Matt's eyes went into the back of his head and he fainted.

I gasped in shock of Matt fainting. My arm had finally came loose and I rubbed my wrist. It was red and sore.

"Are you okay?" the Irish voice asked me.

"Oh! Umm... yes. Thank you. I best be going." I say as I start to walk off. He grabs my wrist too and I yelp again. He retracts his hand and rubs the nape of his neck.

"Oh! I'm so sorry! I totally forgot! sometimes I'm such a bloody idiot!" he says with a small chuckle at the end to hide his nervousness.

"You're definitely forgiven. Thank you so... bye!" I walk away and this time he doesn't follow. I half-want him to half-don't. He doesn't and I walk home.

🌗🌗🌗🌗🌗🌗🌗🌗🌗🌗🌗🌗🌗

The next morning when I wake up, I get my shower, I get dressed and go downstairs to eat. I grab a random textbook and sit down and read it.

I was considered a nerd in school. Everyone thought I was some stuck-up know-it-all. I wasn't.

I was very self-conscious of what people thought. And everyone thought I was stuck-up only because I got good grades but never answered questions unless asked directly at me.

People just thought I figured I was to smart to answer all of the simple questions.

I'm just to scared of people's reaction to anything I say to say anything.

I couldn't keep my mind off that boy from last night. My thoughts wandered from my studies so much that I had no clue that I had accidentally grabbed a Dr. Seuss book instead of an actual textbook. I laughed to myself and put the book away to go brush my teeth. I hear a car honk and I grab my backpack and run out the door. I'm the last one at home so I lock the front door on my way out.

"Hey Lane!" I call out to my best friend who's in the car.

"What's shakin' bacon?" As is his usual response.

"Odd things, I suppose. Matt tried to hit on me again last night. I said no and then this kid I'd never seen before in my life, saved me from Matt. He had an Irish accent. At least I think it was Irish." I mumbles the last little part to myself. Even as shy as I was, I didn't like being wrong.

After we got to school, I thanked Lane for the ride and grabbed my books per usual. I walked towards the school and waited for Lane to walk up next to me. I loved routines and that was mine. When Lane got to my side, I pointed to the boy from the night before.

"Look Lane! That kid from yesterday!" I semi-whisper. Lane looks over at the kid and just smiles.

"Hat! That kid is Kaden. He's a foreign exchange student who transferred at the beginning of the year. He's the most popular kid." Lane lets out another laugh. "How did you never notice?"

"I don't know! You know I rarely notice things outside of my studies!" I say. I rarely yell around people other thank just Lane or Adelyn or Ray. Adelyn and Ray went to another school but we still hung out every weekend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Turns out, most of my classes were with Kaden(?). I never noticed him before. He sat diagonally from me too. I gave up when I realized that he was just a jerk.

Earlier I had tried to say thank you for last night and he just brushed me off.

-----earlier that day-----

"Hey! umm... Kaden? Right?" I had asked him when I saw him at his locker.

"Obviously." Even though it was such a crude comment, my brain went past it because of his thick accent.

"Well...ummm... I just wanted to thank you. For last night." I stuttered out my words.

"Sure thing babe. What did I do again?" He smirked at me a smirk I'm sure got every other girls eyes to bulge out of their heads and their pants to drop.

(Look, I may be somewhat oblivious but I'm not that bad!)

"Jerk." I mumble underneath my breath with a few other unpleasant words I would get suspended for, as I walked away.

-----back to present-----

"Lane, I'm going to take the bus home. Okay?" I say as soon as I see Lane in the hall.

"Okay. Be safe shorty!" he yells down the hall.

"Don't call me that! I'm not short!" I yell back with a small laugh.

Everyone in the hallway just stares at me. I just yelled or even said something aloud. Oh crap! What have I done?!