Chapter Two

What have I done? I have not only just spoken aloud, but to my entire grade! Everyone just stares at me, mouths gaping.

"Uh-I-uh..." I stutter quietly. I can't be around this many people anymore. Especially Kaden.

I turn around and run out the door all the way to Lane's car. I just sit down by the door and cry. I don't know how long I cry, but eventually Lane comes out. He says nothing, just picks me up bridal style and places me in the passenger seat of his car. I assume he gets in the other side and drives off, but I wasn't paying attention and I blocked out any noise. After a year of reading and rarely speaking, you figure out how to block noise.

I wasn't always a socially awkward person, and I'm not really awkward, just quiet. My parents divorced a year ago. In fact, a year ago to the day. I didn't know how to cope, so I gave up most of my friends, I gave up the swim team, and I dove into my studies and reading. My mom and dad both were big nerds, so when they split, I figured the best thing to do was to study. 24/7.

I miss all if those things. I still go to the Y when I need to clear my head. That happens a lot.

Back to the car. I don't notice anything that is going on until Lane pulls into his driveway. He gets out of the car and opens my door. I subconsciously stand up but my knees lock and I fall. Lane is there just in time to catch me. He picks me back up and takes me inside to his apartment. His parents go on a ton of business trips, so he just keeps an apartment.

I often times stay with Lane when I don't want to deal with my mom or dad. He's always been there. Always.

"Hey, Hat, it's okay. I mean come on! you only said don't call me that!" Lane says to try and calm me down.

"It's- just- I-can't-believe-I-yelled!" I exclaim between cries. This was a catastrophe for me but I can't figure out why. Everyone heard me so it's not like it was one specific person.

Or was it?

(A.N. DUN DUN DUUNNNNN!!!!!!!! Sorry. Super cheesy. I know!

Ily!!

~Thals)