From Classmates to Housemates

May 7, 2009

The school year  had finally come to a close and summer break was upon us. As to be expected, I finished the spring semester with a 4.0 and decided to reward myself with the Gucci handbag that I'd been eying. I watched from my apartment window as all of the out of town students packed their belongings and headed home. I knew the summer would mean a drop in clientele, but I was fine with it. It had made above my quota for the year, so I was good. Just as I was settling down to watch reruns of Charmed and eat homemade caramel cake, I rough knock came to my door.

BANG. BANG. BANG!

"Why you gotta knock like you the ops man?" I barked to the beast in front of me.
"Well hello to you too, Princess," his deep voice called down to me.
"What do you want, Erik?" I asked, placing my hands on my hips.
"I was actually coming to ask you for a favor," he replied, looking down at the floor.
"Ok, I'm listening," I said, moving so that he could come inside.
"Listen, we been cool for a few months and I never ask anybody for shit unless I really need it," he rambled, as he stepped inside.
"Spit it out Erik!" I snapped. I didn't mean for it to come off so harshly, but one of my biggest pet peeves is for people to stall when they talk. Say the shit and be done with it.
"Ok look, my roommates decided to get rid of our spot without telling me so now I'm homeless. I was wondering if I could crash here just until I save up for a new spot."
He looked so innocent and cute. I'd never seen him look so unsure of himself and I must admit, I felt bad for the guy.
"Alright," I responded. He looked at me like I'd starting speaking a foreign language.
"You serious?"
"Yeah. besides, I've seen how niggas look at you around here. I'd be nice to have a bodyguard," I teased.
"I appreciate that, Shy. You a real one," he says before pulling me into a bear hug. God he smelled good. I stayed wrapped in the embrace longer than I cared to admit and I honestly wasn't shameful about it. I was the one to break the hold and judging by the look on his face, he felt the same way I did, and he was just as prideful as I was so he wouldn't admit it either.
"So when can I move in?" he asked, trying to change the subject.
"Umm, whenever you're ready, I guess."
"Cool. I'm gonna go get some of my stuff and I'll be back."
"I'll be here," I replied, walking him towards the door. Something told me this living arrangement would prove to be very interesting.