CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

Late afternoon came to New Sandharbor, and the streets had gone quiet. It was an hour since Enfri's announcement, and news of Shan Alee's surrender spread throughout the districts. Ban didn't know what to expect the people's response to be, but he had a few ugly ideas.

Things were going to get worse before they got better.

Wearing his black full plate, Ban approached the foot of the mooring tower. The large construct rose to a height of two hundred paces. Tethers ran from several points along its length towards the Jade Empire frigate, as did spars to support the vessel's weight once the lift gyros disengaged. Teams of mooringmen affixed counterweights to a system of ropes and pulleys, then used trained oxen or arkathons to hoist them upwards to balance the airship's mass on the tower.

Most of the trip was by carriage while the crew marched behind in formation. This last leg between the road and the base of the tower felt longer than the half-league ride that preceded it.

New Sandharbor's single mooring tower was rated to service up to three airships at a given time, though none larger than the trade ships of the Sky Corps. Among the Jade Armada, only the frigate-weights were small enough to set down using Aleesh facilities. If Ban had his way, the floundering thing would've never have been built. Even better, burn it with the Jade vessels still attached.

I could strike one blow for the right side, he thought. I just wonder how much trying it would cost me.

He, Kimpo, and their crew escorted Ku Ji Min back to her vessel as a full honor guard from the Ruby Knights. The executor hadn't said a word that Ban had heard. She faced forward and walked with what may have been hesitance, though if Ban could read anything through her enshrouding clothing, it was lost on him.

Once again, Ban set his hydromancy on understanding what was happening. Why it was happening. As before, the drain on his ether was heavy. It was frustrating to be left in the dark by his insight, but he wanted to believe that answers being difficult to come by was a good sign. It meant there was more he simply didn't know about to receive his full answer. Furthermore, when he thought about it honestly, he was afraid of what answers the insight might give him.

For now, he could content himself with not knowing. He could have faith that the rest would fall into place given time.

Enfri wouldn't do this without a good reason, he told himself. She has a plan.

He just wished she might've clued him in on what that plan was before she surrendered to the armada. Then again, there may not have been the time. That could also account for that business with Jin.

Ban felt he knew Enfri as well as anyone, and he would never attribute cruelty to her. Especially not towards Jin, which made this entire situation all the more difficult to accept.

Walking alongside the executor, Ban considered how to check if the Enfri giving orders was actually his Enfri. Maybe the real one was tied up in a sack somewhere while some doppler pulled nonsense like this. Even as he thought it, Ban knew it was a slim hope, but he had to tell himself something.

Enfri submitted to the same screenings as everyone else going in and out of the palace. Moon had been with her for nearly all of the last four days. If Enfri was an imposter, it was beyond Ban's understanding how it would've happened.

Reaching the mooring tower, Ban raised a fist to call for the crew to halt. The aviators stood grim-faced at attention while Suuri and Karlo took lead positions in front of them. Ban and Kimpo continued on with the executor.