The Date

Rey's eyes dart about the restaurant and back to the empty chair across from her. She bit her lower lip in unease as time ticks by. It's been two hours since she arrived, and her date is still nowhere to be found. She texted him almost a million times, but there was no reply. An old couple from a nearby table gave her a sympathetic look as they find their way out, the woman stopped near her and patted her shoulder. Rey gave her a faint smile, thankful for the kind gesture.

"Don't feel bad sweetie, I'm sure there's a reason why he's running late," she assured her calmly before leaving Rey sighing.

Rey's chest tightened. The loneliness was suffocating. How can such a crowded place make her feel like so? And the worried glances she received from the restaurant staff was of no help as well. Rey felt humiliated for being stood up. But most of all, she's really disappointed. Rey has been waiting for this for so long, but he disappointed her-- again.

======

Finn just finished a meeting at work. He's heading towards his car parked outside their company's building, his and Rose's. They've built this company together since after they graduated from college. Both were young and driven to reach success, fueled by their difficult past lives.

His phone rings. Finn took it from his pocket and quickly answered it after seeing who was calling.

"Can you come pick me up please?" she pleads from the other end of the line, her voice weak and gloomy.

"Where you at? I'll be right over."

Soon enough Finn found himself driving to the outskirts of the city and stops in front a shabby looking bar. He shakes his head as he walks in, looking left to right for his friend, and his expression became stern when his eyes landed on a girl in a yellow dress with penny-sized daisies designed on it's hems. She's laughing hysterically while talking to an uninterested bartender.

Finn walks toward her, sighing, "I think you've had enough drinks for tonight."

Rey snaps her head to his direction and gave Finn an ear to ear grin, "Peeeeaaanut," she exclaims, "you came for me. Finally, someone did," she grabs a shot glass of alcohol and brings it to her lips.

"Okay that's enough," he stated, taking the glass from her hand, "You're going home now."

"But peanut," Rey complained pouting.

Finn places the glass back on the counter table and pulls Rey by the arm. Assisting her as she walked out unsteadily towards his car.

Rey leans on his shoulder, "You're such a great friend Finn," she said softly.

Finn nods and help her climb into the backseat.

"Please don't puke inside my car," Finn requested as he started the car and it immediately hummed to life, "I just had the interior cleaned yesterday."

Rey laid her head down in the backseat, drunk and groaning.

"What happened, I thought you're going on a date with him?" Finn peers on his friend from the rearview mirror.

Rey let out a forceful laugh, "he wasted three hours of my life. What a jerk."

Finn clenched his teeth as he focuses his eyes back on the road. His growing rage won't do them any good.

"I told you, he's bad news," he ranted, "but you wouldn't listen. What did you even see in that guy?"

Rey remained quiet. She felt her eyes swell with tears. She loves him, there's no denying it, and she's given everything to him. But he failed her.

The rest of the ride to Rey's apartment was in total silence. Finn opened the door for Rey and helped find her way towards her apartment.

Rey's place wasn't as big or grand as his place but it was homey. There's always a touch of Rey on everything, from the furnitures she customized and the beautiful serene paintings of her own hanging on white walls. Finn guided himself around, getting Rey a blanket from the cabinet inside her bedroom and a glass of water from the kitchen. Rey nestled herself on the living room couch. It's the only place cooler from the rest during the summer.

Rey grabs Finn by the wrist as he was tucking her in, "why can't I just have you for a boyfriend?"

Finn snorts and shakes his head at her unexpected question, "I'm with Rose, Rey. You know that."

"I don't think she'd mind me sharing you," she tease.

"Don't be silly Rey," he chuckled, rubbing her head with his palm, "You'll find someone who'll treat you right. I'm sure you will...soon"

Rey's chest felt heavy at the thought of being with someone else other than him, Ben. She couldn't bear losing him, she lost him once and now she's about to again. The familiar pain is creeping back for the second time and she fears it. Rey shifted to the other side to hide her tears from Finn, "why does love hurt so much?" She sobbed.

Finn sits down on the floor and leans back on the couch where Rey is on. Their heads turned from each other.

"I don't know Rey," he sighs.