The Life of The Other Woman (Hiatus)

"Why can't you just stop this?" Andrea asked her mom before taking a tequila shot.

She looked at her mom with disbelief. It was one of those sceneries where you can see someone bluntly staring at a regular thing or empty space  as if it was some kind of device that brings their memories back like flash.

"I can't find the will to stop." Her mom finally answered.

"I knew you would say that." Andrea hissed. "You are one persistent woman, aren't you?"

"I guess you could say that." The middle-aged woman smiled at her daughter flawlessly. But Andrea knows better than that. "It's all for love. This is all for love."

"Foolish." Andrea remarked, "utterly stupid love. It truly does make people blind."

"You can call it stupid or whatever you want to but once you're inlove, I'm sure you're going to regret all that you've just said.." Her mom said using a taunting voice.

"That's really scary but I have nothing against love, Mom." She paused, trying to make her tone emotionless, "I know how it is to be inlove. It takes over you. It controls you and sometimes it may even consume and change you. It's really flattering and charming that I'm amazed by it. But nonetheless, I'm one hell of a person who would never ever settle for what you're in."

"Ouch," her mom said, looking a bit hurt but understanding, "are you trying to look down on me?"

"You know I have great respect for you."

They both took a sip from their drink. This was definitely a heart-to-heart talk, Andrea thought. Beers, cocktails and a boring conversation.

"I know you do. I'm sorry if I disappoint you but I have no reason to stop this."

"Can I give you one then?" Andrea asked eagerly while grinning like a girl that popped a brilliant idea.

"No, because if I did have a reason, I still won't do it. I won't stop."

"Even if the reason is for your daughter?" Her mom shook her head, smiling naughtily. "Wow all for the glory of love. I'm impressed."

"Good."

"But that doesn't mean I'm going to do the same." She said with conviction.

"You'll never know Andrea. You'll never know."

"You sounded like some kind of witch-narrator in a story." She kidded, "but that won't really happen mom. You know I'm not going to settle for anything less than what I truly deserve. And I know you do too, so I'm going to say this once more and no don't even say a word until I'm done." Andrea said as she noticed her mom opened her mouth to cut in.

"It's really fascinating and all. The power of love and the interesting adventure you're in but--"

"You find my situation interesting?" Andrea's mom, Stella asked. "Cool."

"I told you not to cut me off." Andrea's tone got a little bit higher this time, "I understand that love, or whatever it is that consumes you. I know you think this is right. And I know mothers know best but this is not the best for me. Not the best for you and definitely not the best for anyone else. So I suggest that you stop this non-sense, oh wait, let me change the word-- stop this foolishness and come back to your old self; the woman I know you to be. The woman that held her chin up high everytime and the woman who never settles for anything less. The woman who would never like to be an option."

"I'm not an option." Andrea saw her mom tighten her grip on the glass.

"Then what do you call yourself?" Andrea frowned. She knows her mother would tell her that she's wrong and that all her beliefs are not genuinely true. “You don’t actually think that he would leave his wife for you, do you?”

"A foolish, patient, understanding lover who would give up anything for love." Her mom’s hazel eyes stared at her for a moment. Somehow beneath all that Andrea said, she felt pain.

"That's--"

"Stupid? If you call it that way then yes." Her mom took another big gulp of beer, "I just hope that someday you won't be in the same situation as me."

I'm never going to be a mistress, Andrea shook her head as she thought of it.