Chapter 3

The tabby Bertania snarled at the Kelbrag clan representative who didn't budge on anything. "Regardless, a Ghirp and a Junja-Kith are not welcome."

"We're Grathe's friends. We... I demand to see him."

The Kelbrag Ghirp glowered at her and the security team glared back at him. Prinz people were more than willing to escort them to the stripped Bertania clan, whom apparently wasn't well liked by anyone. Her guards seemed overly willing to start a problem, which wouldn't help anyone, least of all their imprisoned machinist.

The rep chuckled. His eyes never left her as he attempted to stand taller in order to look down on her. "If you are Grathe's friends I doubt you'll do much to help him. Besides, he is guilty."

Ref Andra didn't bother attempting to stand on her tip-toes. She looked up at the cat-like without the fear she felt in her heart. "Your people attacked a Keloi when you grabbed Grathe. Do you want me to bring the local forces into this?"

The Obsolus had their own laws and they could do mostly as they pleased with one another, but all of that went away the moment they brought harm to a human.

The rep didn't immediately respond and although his demeanor didn't change, Ref thought she could smell something different. Fear. They were secure here, ready to fight both herself and Prinz team, but if the Keloi came in here with arms that was something else entirely.

"Fine, Ghirp. You want to say goodbye to your friend—we can allow that."

"Andra," Ref said.

The Kelbrag showed his teeth in a snarl. "I wouldn't push your luck too far, Andra."

"Only as far as required."

The rep waved a hand at the Kelbrag guards and they started the airlock doors cycling. Though there wasn't an actual airlock, the reinforced outer hull entryway provided a significant amount of protection. If anyone wanted in they might have better luck cutting through the walls than attempting to breach one of the circular airlock doors.

"You're not like other Ghirp," one of the Prinz's Bertania said.

Ref smiled to herself. She must be playing the game well if the security team was impressed by her. Too bad everything was a bluff and at her core, she was terrified of finding herself trapped inside of Kelbrag's domain. Obsolus didn't eat flesh anymore, but that was always a threat the Bertania made to the other races. Ref doubted her simple sidearm would be enough to protect her against an entire clan if they went feral.

"Andra's not like others in a general sense." Quinton had been silent throughout the entire exchange even though he was wearing his Castar-twin skinsuit.

Of all of those present, he was probably the best equipped to deal with a feral clan. He had a number of Dark Rounds in his launcher, which were the only reason they had survived the creature. In addition, the armor was resistant to blunt and armor piercing, making him a veritable wall of destruction if it came down to a brawl.

"You learn a thing or two in the recyclotron." Gatar, one of the trio of tabby Bertania, did have the look of someone who had spent down below. He was more watchful than his brethren as if anyone might attempt to steal his meal.

"Fertilizer shift, mostly," Ref said.

"Ah. I did a few stints there before Prinz found me," Gatar replied. He wrinkled his nose at the memory. "Never got used to that smell."

"No one ever does." Ref knew a few Obsolus that lost their ability to smell entirely and still others that never left with the ability to fully detect the decomposition process.