Part 11 (2)

As I slipped back into consciousness, I realised that I was in Harry’s arms, shaking violently. I was overcome, lying there limp and lifeless, not really aware of anything other than Harry’s body against mine. Harry pushed my hair from my face and I could feel his lips just moments from mine. I felt defeated. Well and truly. My body had surrendered against my will. It had betrayed my own command to push further. 

“Shh, breathe, deep breaths.” Harry’s voice was soft and smooth as he lulled me. “Open your eyes for me, Emilia.”

I forced my eyes open to peer up at him.

“I’m going to take the clamps off, okay? It’ll hurt for a short while.”

I nodded and he took them off. The blood flow poured back to my nipples, throbbing and aching much more so than the initial sensation of having them on. He brushed his fingertips over the sensitive nubs and I winced, biting down on my lip as I tried to swallow away the need to cry out. He then took a glass of water from the side and held it to my lips, allowing me to sip the cool liquid. Some of it slipped past the corners of my mouth and went down my chin but I was too thirsty and weary to care. I swallowed the water like I’d been starved of liquid for days. Once I was done, Harry put the glass back on the side and levelled his face with mine.

“Why didn’t you use it? Why didn’t you use your safe word?”

His voice was soft but I could tell that he was agitated. 

“I didn’t want to,” I whispered meekly. “I didn’t need to.”

“You passed out, Emilia. I’d say that you needed to.”

I lowered my lashes. I couldn’t bring myself to look him in the eyes.

“Safe words are there for a reason and they’re there to be used. You should have used it before it got to that point.”

“I thought I could get through it.” My voice cracked as my throat tightened. “I didn’t want to give in.”

“But sometimes we have to.” Harry pushed my hair behind my ear and stroked my face. “Using is doesn’t make you weak. You need to understand that. And in no way would I be angry or disappointed that you used it.”

“You sound angry now,” I mumbled and he exhaled deeply, before tilting my chin up to look at him. 

“I’m not angry, I promise. I’m just frustrated that you didn’t use it when you really needed to. This is your health and safety we’re talking about. What if I hadn’t noticed your eyes fall shut and your body go limp?”

I shrugged, feeling somewhat regretful that I’d been so stubborn. He pulled me in close and kissed my forehead.

“You can’t jeopardise your safety for the sake of being stubborn.”

“I’m sorry,” I whispered.

“Don’t be.” Harry’s voice was much warmer now. “I’m just glad that you’re okay.”

I couldn’t place my emotion. It was one that I hadn’t felt before and one that forced tears to roll down my cheeks. He pulled me into his chest and held me close, stroking my cheek and catching my tears with his thumb.

“Okay,” he soothed. “Shh. You’re okay.”

I shook my head and curled my body against his with what little strength I had left. 

“I didn’t realise I’d pushed you so far.”

I wasn’t crying because I’d been pushed too far. I was crying because it had come to an end before I was ready for it to. I couldn’t stop my tears, no matter how hard I tried. I was on a comedown and it was probably the most intense that I’d ever experienced.