Chapter 7

Lia bit into her bacon cheeseburger. “Mmm,” she said as the juice dribbled down her chin. So much for watching what I eat. I’ll make up for it later. The guilt at eating off her weight management plan was quashed by the need to keep Colin out of her mind.

Anu was eating a much less sinful veggie burger. “Looks like you’re enjoying that.”

“A little too much I think.” Lia signed. Food really did help her feel better, at least while she was eating. 

“You look amazing, Lia. A burger here and there isn’t going to ruin your perfect physique.” 

“Yeah, yeah.” Lia’s eyes scanned Anu quickly. Her friend was blessed with the most gorgeous curves. “You’re pretty decent looking yourself.”

“Eh.” Anu shrugged.

Lia wiped her mouth. “So about the other day—”

“I am so sorry, that’s why I wanted to have lunch with you, to apologize. I was such a bimbo in lust—”

“It’s okay, I figured that you were in the middle of something. Are things good with him?”

Anu turned and looked to the distance.

“No. He’s not serious about me, so it’s over.”

Lia reached for her friend’s hand. “I’m so sorry. What happened?”

Anu sighed loudly and looked off into the distance. “Well, the other night, we had a great date. We’d gone out to dinner, had the best conversations, and it just seemed like we were meant to be together.”

“That’s sweet.”

“It was so good that we went back to his place and one thing led to another…”

“No way.”

“Yup. And you know how…well, I’ve never climaxed with a guy.” 

“Well, that’s still more than I’ve ever done, but what are you saying then?”

“He did it for me. I don’t know. I think I was so relaxed, and I just trusted him.”

“How was it?”

“It was the most incredible feeling. For once, I totally lost myself. I wasn’t worrying about what my body looked like. I was just in the moment, fully.” Anu’s eyes were shining.

“That’s beautiful.” Lia’s heart ached. That’s how I felt with Colin, and we were just kissing. “So what ha—”

Anu’s expression darkened. “He took off the next morning. Left me hanging, like a one-night stand. I woke up in an empty bed, with a note saying he had left to study.”

“Was this at his place?”

“Yeah.”

“Well, maybe—” 

“Don’t justify his behavior.” Anu’s nostrils flared.

Lia held her tongue. She would reason with Anu later.

“I’m sorry, Anu.” Lia placed her hand on her friend’s hand.

“I’m done with him.” Lia wasn’t convinced. “How about you? Anything new with that Colin guy?”

“Oh, I can’t figure him out. He kisses me, then it seems that he has a girlfriend, but then he asks me to dinner? I don’t know.” 

Anu’s eyes widened. “That’s pretty crazy. Can you just ask him what his deal is?”