Chapter 5

Lia had put it off long enough. She really should have called her sister yesterday. Hopefully 9 a.m. wasn’t too early. 

“Hello?” said a raspy voice.

“Alex?” 

“Yeah. Who is this?”

“Your sister...you know?” 

“Oh yeah, yeah. Sorry, I’m kind of out of it.”

Oh great, she’s hungover or stoned. 

“Can you talk a sec?”

“I guess…”

“Listen, so Gianna, our aunt—”

“Yes, I know who she is.” Alex sounded irritated.

“She has a tumor in her liver, and is going to do chemo again.” 

“Oh, okay. So she’s going to be okay?” Alex sounded mildly interested.

“Well we really hope so,” Lia felt herself tearing up. “But it’s a big deal. Can you come over?”

There was a long silence on the line. “Hello?”

“Yeah, I’m here.” She sounded distant. “I can’t come. Sorry. I have to go.” 

Alex hung up on Lia. Well that went well. Lia had expected a detached reaction from her sister. That was how she handled any potentially bad news. She simply detached herself from the source and carried on with her partying ways. Ugh. When is she going to realize what she’s doing?

She looked out the window, and saw a father walking down the street holding his two daughters’ hands. They were skipping, so young and carefree. We used to be like that. Her dad had adored his two daughters. One of her favorite memories was her first baseball game at Fenway Park. Her dad had outfitted them in Red Sox gear. They must have looked so cute, the two of them in their pink Red Sox shirts. Alex had looked up to Lia, copying her every move. The two of them had been inseparable. I miss her. I’ll call her again tomorrow.

Lia sighed and checked her phone. 9:15. A few more hours till she had to go into lab for the monthly lab lunch. She wished she could come up with an excuse to miss it, but she knew it would kill her credibility with Dr. Peterson if she missed it. He took lab lunches very seriously, as a chance for everyone in his large lab to share their results and informally get feedback from each other. 

Might as well prepare a presentation myself. She opened up PowerPoint and started to summarize her research plan. Her worries were constantly attempting to interrupt her. How am I going to avoid Colin and Farahnaz? Lia felt queasy but willed herself to finish her summary.

Time go already? She checked her phone. She threw on a light jacket and headed out, her backpack slung on her shoulder. The hints of Fall were in the air, and Lia yearned for the warmer days of summer. 

When she entered the lab, everyone was gathered, ready to head out to the brewery for lunch. They had reserved a room for the lab, and beers were part of the plan. Only in graduate school would this be considered normal. 

“Sorry I’m late,” she smiled timidly. “No, no we’re just eager to go.” Dr. Peterson reassured her. 

“Oh good.”

No sight of Colin, for now. Phew. A tall woman approached Lia as they were filing down the hallway. 

“Hi, I’m Kate. I hear you’re our new student. Hope you’re getting on all right.”