Chapter 12: A Painful Reminder

A/N: Well, never thought I'd get one let alone two books with 1k views. Thanks heaps for the support, let me know your opinions on this story I'm thinking of reviewing this and maybe changing a few of the characters mentioned in earlier chapters, I just don't feel like the names fit as much as I'd like them to. Anyways thanks heaps for 1k reads.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Team RWBY's Dorm - The next morning
Normality was something of a rare occasion when one hangs out with team RWBY, more so if you're Y/n. Up at the crack of dawn due to many sleepless nights or painful reminders of his past both on Remnant and Earth, but none pain him more, than knowing his friend and mentor died because he was too slow. After Cayde's death his fireteam and friends tried to console him as best they could even going so far as to say that his death wasn't on his hands. That isn't how Y/n looks at it, not at all. As Y/n looked out over the balcony at the rising sun, a lone tear graced his cheek as he remembered the time he first met Cayde at the tower.

"You're up early."

Y/n briefly looked over his shoulder and saw Blake standing in the archway. Turning his attention back to the horizon, Y/n quickly wiped the stray tear away as Blake walked over to him placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Shouldn't you be getting rest Blake? We've got Combat Class first up."

"I could say the same thing to you, after all you've been through a lot lately. So in my opinion you need the rest more than we do."

"I can't Blake."

The Faunus looked at her friend shocked at his response. Blake forced the Hunter next to her around so that she was staring him dead in the eyes, one thing bothered Blake and that was what Y/n was hiding, why he's up this early and the significance behind the Ace of Spades.

"What do you mean: You can't?"

Y/n simply brushed Blake off and returned to watching the sun rise over Vale and Beacon as he replied to his friend.

"You wouldn't understand."

"Then help me understand, I know what it's like to feel pain."

"YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE! YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW HARD IT IS KNOWING THAT YOU COULD HAVE SAVED SOMEONE CLOSE TO YOU BUT COULDN'T BECAUSE YOU WERE TOO DAMN SLOW!"

Blake recoiled at Y/n's outburst, only confirming her assumptions about him changing to be true. Blake turned her back on her friend and made her way before saying her parting words.

"This isn't like you Y/n, the Y/n I know wouldn't push friends away like this. So either suck up whatever pride you have, or let us help you. I'll be in Goodwitch's class, if you decide to turn up."

Shortly after Blake left Y/n, Tes appeared blinking at her Guardian with a concerned eye as Y/n looked down at his now clenched fists as a few more stray tears hit the concrete railing.

"She just wants to help Y/n, you know that. While you may not show it, deep down you know that Blake and the others just want to help."

With those words Tes vanished back into Y/n's backpack as the young Hunter looked back into the archway, the same direction that Blake left in. Looking down one last time, Y/n shook his head  and made his way for Professor Goodwitch's class, and ultimately a date with his past, something he wasn't looking forward to.

Goodwitch's Class
Ruby's Pov
Ever since Y/n got back from Earth, word about his return spread and most people were happy that he'd come back safe but there were people like team CAYD, who were wishing that he'd just died in the forest even saying that if he showed up that they'd make sure he'd die in a spar against them and make it look like an accident. I kept my attention trained on the door hoping that Y/n wouldn't come through it.

"I hope he's okay."

"Yeah, all this flak over some loudmouthed little bitch, I mean come on Y/n wouldn't have done something like THAT. We know him better than them, let them say what they want, the end of the day it's just words."

I looked at Yang with a concerned expression as the chatter and insults regarding Y/n died down, even some of the second year students like Coco and Velvet were present which was some cause for concern. I knew that Coco and her team were only here to support her brother but others, that left me being rather skeptical about the whole situation.

"I spoke to him this morning Ruby. I doubt he's coming, he's changed if he doesn't want our help then that's fine with me."

"Damn right he's changed you faunus hypocrite! He raped Cyan in case you forgot! He should have died in the Emerald Forest and everyone would've been happier!"

Just as Blake was about to rip Jayden a new one the door to the classroom opened and out of nowhere a combat knife flew right passed Jayden's head and not two seconds later Y/n walked through the door and he was pissed.

"I'd hold your tongue Yukarin. Unless you want the next one to be right between the eyes."

I shrank into my seat as the heated exchange between Y/n and Jayden only turned into an inferno as the rest of team CAYD got involved pushing Y/n to the extreme, I looked over at Blake who had a somewhat surprised look on her face at the fact Y/n even turned up. I didn't want to pry as whatever they talked about was clearly a touchy subject.

"As if YOU could do anything to us, after all the only thing you're good for is sticking that limp tool between your legs in places it doesn't belong!"

"THAT DOES IT! NOW YOU'VE GONE AND PISSED ME OFF IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE! MAKING FUN OF ME IS ONE THING BUT DISGRACING THE MEMORY OF SOMEONE CLOSE TO ME!? THAT'S THE LAST STRAW! 4v1! RIGHT NOW LET'S GO! I'LL SHOW YOU JUST HOW SORRY YOU PATHETIC ASSHOLES ARE!"

The entire class, even Professor Goodwitch were completely, shocked would be an understatement, I looked over at Blake as she eyed Y/n almost with the eye that someone gives you when they're judging you by your looks. Even Cardin was caught with his pants down as he just stared at Y/n gobsmacked.

"Very well then, our first match will be between team CAYD and Y/n Adel. Standard tournament rules apply, should a fighter's aura reach the red they're out of the fight, collect your gear."

Team CAYD left to get ready for their fight with Y/n, this was something I'd been dreading the whole entire time before he got here, if things went badly I don't think that even Professor Goodwitch could stop this fight, even if she wanted to. While Team CAYD were busy I made my way down to Y/n just to try and find out what's going through his head.

"Ruby, it's not going to be safe in the front few rows, have the classmates move towards the back. Make sure that no matter what, nobody interferes I need to do this myself, I need to prove to myself that his death wasn't my fault."

I gave Y/n a concerned look at his request and returned to my seat informing the students sitting in the front three rows and advised them about what Y/n had told me, not wanting to face his anger first hand the students moved towards the back and returned to my seat just as Team CAYD came back with their combat gear and each of them had a look that basically indicated they weren't going to abide by tournament rules.

"I have a bad feeling about this Blake, do you think Y/n needs some help with this fight? I mean it's a four on one, talk about an unfair advantage."

"I don't know Ruby. If anything I suggest that we wait and see, regardless if he said he needs to do this himself, there are somethings that we just can't do alone I just hope he realizes this is one of those times."

As Y/n just stood there going over his weapon, which was new as he'd owned a hand cannon before but this one was different from his other one Nora and the rest of Team JNPR as well as Cardin came over and occupied the seats next to us.

"So who do you reckon's going to win?"

"Honestly I hope that Y/n wipes the floor with those slime-loving shit spreading hypocrites."

As Nora, Jaune, Pyrrha, Cardin, hell even Yang and Weiss placed bets on who would win I looked over at Blake and she was eyeing Y/n more than she ever did before he disappeared which as her teammate and friend I was concerned for her. Not paying any mind to Blake I turned my attention back to the arena just as the fight was about to get underway.