A Second Chance Part 7

Taylor POV:

When we first walked into Karlie and Joe's huge apartment, the first thing I saw was a bunch of picture frames on the small wooden table right near the door. There were some of Joe and some of Karlie but the one that first caught my attention was the biggest frame of all in the middle of the table. It was a golden frame with diamonds that spelled out the word, forever and a picture of Joe and Karlie together. He's looking down at her and smiling, exactly the way he use to look at me. She's looking directly at the camera and is grinning like it was the happiest day of her life.

Karlie noticed me staring and quickly grabbed the picture and turned it down. "Don't look at that. It doesn't mean anything." , she explained.

I nodded and we walked deeper into the apartment. I didn't belong here and I was going to ruin Karlie and his perfect relationship. No longer was I worried what Joe would say when he saw me here, I just wanted to leave.

"Joe, I'm home!" , Karlie shouted up a long flight of steps.

Once we had passed the second living room and we were now in the kitchen, I heard his voice. "I'll be down in a second, love." , he shouted. I could hear footsteps stomping downstairs and Joe appeared.

His hair had grown much longer and he had a mustache and bread, he didn't look at all like himself anymore. "Hey, babe. Sorry, I saw just..." then he saw me. "Taylor? I'm sorry...what?" 

"I'll give you two some space." , Karlie said quietly slowly backing out of the room and into what seemed like an office, softly shutting the door.

"Why are you here?" , Joe asked, not angrily, more confused.

"I needed to tell you something." , I said almost not audible.

"Oh." , Joe responded. "Well...sit down, please. Can I get you anything? Water?"

"No thanks." , I said sitting down on the nearest couch as Joe sat down next to me.

"So." he began with a little nervous chuckle. "What's up?" 

"Um...I still love you." , I blurted out in what felt like one word.

"What?" , Joe asked, stunned.

"I still have feelings for you. I still love you, for a while now. I haven't been happy with my marriage with Adam and I've been trying to think of the reason but now I know it's because of you. Joe, please forgive me. I'm so sorry about everything I put you through but I swear I'll never do it again." , I exclaimed my heart pounding out of my chest. 

"Um..." Joe said quietly blinking a few times. "N-no."

"What?" , I squeaked, my voice hoarse.

"No, Taylor." , he said with a little more confidence. "I gave you chances before and you let me and the kids down...and if I give you this chance, I'm afraid you'll ruin it too."

"I won't." , I begged.

"I'm...I'm happy with Karlie. I...I love her. And you're married to Adam. You two have a kid."

"But we have five!" , I almost shouted now, holding five fingers up to prove my point.

"I don't care. That's not going to change my answer."

"Joe!" , I screamed, tears rolling down my cheeks and my face turning bright red. "Please. I said I was sorry."

Joe's mouth moved for a second but no words came out. "Go, Taylor."

"No!" , I shrieked. "I won't go. I need you!"

Joe was no longer looking at me, just staring at the floor. "Leave my house now or I swear I'll call the police."

My eyes burned and I clenched my fists. "Fine!" , I hissed. "But just for your information, I'll never come back here so don't even think about crying back to me."

And with that, I stomped right out of the apartment and slammed the door.