͋ 10 ͋ Friday, May 7, 1993 (BWWM)

PLAYING DRESS-UP

Jolie wore a divine white and red rose floral print sundress that gathered beneath her bosom and hugged her waistline. The rest of the dress flowed down below her knees to the top of her calves. Her look was complemented by white pumps and freshly pressed hair.

Most people were so accustomed to seeing her hair braided up or pulled back in a ponytail. To witness the jet-black tresses rolling in delicate waves as they cascaded in a flowing fashion down past her shoulder blades to cover the creamy milk chocolate skin that was exposed beneath the spaghetti straps of her dress was the rarest of treats. 

Jolie's attire was completed by big fluffy feathered bangs known around the world as the Farrah Fawcett look.

Playing dress-up wasn't her thing unless she was on her way to church. She was known by everyone as a 'tomboy' who wasn't interested in girlie stuff at all. Jolie was most comfortable in old t-shirts and blue jeans or at times a pair of khaki shorts that stopped just below her knees. Revealing too much skin was completely out of character for her. Even though her apparel was particularly appropriate for such an occasion, she began to question her choices.

Moving through the crowd left her feeling as if she were under the watchful gaze of the guests.

Jolie suddenly understood what it must feel like to be a baby lamb as a pack of wolves stroked and caressed its little fragile body with greedy eyes while envisioning the sweet delicious carnage they would enjoy if only they could lure the helpless creature out of the confines of safety.

Feeling the eyes rove insidiously unchecked on her form as she moved from one conversation to another increased the queasiness building in the pit of her stomach.

She put on an immaculate smile and glided gracefully as multiple heads turned to make her interactions with the partygoers extremely uncomfortable. Their sights locked on her frame as they followed her every movement. This unexpected attention caused Jolie to panic a bit as she began to feel the weight of the unsolicited attention boring holes into her skin. 

The young woman who showed up without a hint of makeup was blessed with natural roasted honey-kissed dark chocolate skin that was capable of hypnotizing all who were in attendance. They were addicted to the vision gliding through the crowd. Many of them hadn't socialized with anyone of color, so to see such a curvaceously enchanting female form was overwhelming.

The adults found themselves bedazzled by the young artist's ability to navigate through the crowd while attending to party-goers' questions. When they made the connection that she was one of the guests of honor, Jolie commanded their adoration because of her charismatic personality as well as her talent.

Her frequent attempts to redirect their attention to the other guests of honor worked in her favor by drawing them into conversations with someone other than herself.

Utilizing some pretty successful maneuvering skills, she was able to draw onlookers to one of the other art students named Leon.

The tall lanky young man in the white linen suit arrived with Jolie and Darcy. He was dressed much like the men he'd seen on Miami Vice and it just so happened that the look complimented the shy awkwardly handsome yet ebony savant quite well. His ability to recreate what his eyes beheld in real life and what he'd envisioned in his imagination left people utterly speechless. Jolie never felt she was anywhere near as talented as Leon and that was one of the reasons she worked so hard to include him in what had the potential to be such a grand opportunity.

As a result of Jolie's efforts, Leon received quite a few offers for freelance work once the patrons examined the portfolio he brought along with him. A glimpse of the art sketchbook he used as a launchpad for his ideas along with his portfolio with photographs of his large body of work made it possible for the young man to secure a list of lucrative future projects as he mingled with the privileged attendees.