Cara

me and ollie had been flirting back and forth for weeks, maybe even a couple of months, but still, neither of us had asked the other out. i guess we were both scared. too scared to make that move and learn all about one another's history and problematic lives, perhaps. or perhaps we were just cowardly.

i wandered into work, a few minutes late, but not having to be terrified that naylor would rip out my heart single handed for being even the teensiest bit late. instead there was mo, who would raise an eyebrow but let me off because at least i showed up, and ollie, who would just smile and flirt. i changed into my scrubs in the locker room, and went out into the ward. surprisingly, ollie wasn't there yet, which was unusual, seeing as he was usually at least 10 minutes early. i got to my usual duties of ward rounds and equipment checks, taking bloods, urine samples, all the normal stuff, and soon enough it was my break. i'd barely realised what the time was.

after my morning break i got back to duties, occasionly having a chat with mo at the nurses station. finally at around lunch time, ollie wandered onto the ward. i walked over, a smile on my face, and said "where have you been this fine morning?"
"i, uh, had the morning off" he said with a slight smile.
"you okay?"
he nodded and walked off to the locker room to get changed. i watched him as he went, and then pulled myself together and got back to work, waiting for him to get changed and appear back on the ward with his valentine charm.

when he finally did, he looked refreshed and cheery again. seeing him made me realise i should just stop being a coward and ask him out for a drink.. so thats what i was going to do. i waited for the right moment; we were sat at the nurses station, chatting, catching up with all the gossip (my speciality), and talking about how jac and zosias holiday with emma was going (zosia had been keeping ollie updated). i plucked up the courage, and went for it. "how would you feel about going to for a drink together later? you know, as like, a date sort of thing?" i said, awkwardly. he grinned and said he'd love to, leaving me to get on with my duties and him to get on with his.