Seven

It was the seventh day

Today was it– you either inherited Sverri's lands or you gave them to Ivar who was an actual king. You could stay as Ivar's Queen and unite three lands or leave and face tremendous responsibility caring for Sverri and perhaps your father's as well.

You knew you wanted to do.

"I will give my lands to Ivar. But... I want you to care for my father's lands in specific, Hvitserk." You begin to say.

You sit with Hvitserk, Ragnhild and Ivar. Aslaug lay in your arms awake. She eats eating of your breast while you ate breakfast yourself. The constant feasting that had been going on the last seven days had you feeling more than a little queasy, if you were honest. So a simple breakfast of fruit was better suited to you.

"Me?" Hvitserk glances over to Ivar. His brother wore a hard smile, cup against his lips as you spoke. Hvitserk knew that Ivar was getting all that he wanted. The lands, the woman... But he wasn't so stupid as to expect that everything was fixed just like that.

"I'm no shieldmaiden." You murmur. "But you're a good warrior. I'd like you to go take care of my father's memory."

Most women would have been eager to fight for their lands, leaving a husband that had two wives and ignored you for years. But you? You didn't feel like Lagertha or Brynhildr. No, you were (Y/N), with two sons and a daughter whom you rather put devotion into rather than waste your time caring for lands that may or may not face an usurper. Most of all, you were tired. You wanted to enjoy some quiet.

"Alright." Hvitserk says, his voice raising and dropping like the tide. He sounded unsure. You didn't blame him either. It was hard to care for lands and worse so on you as you knew that you would be sending your dear friend away.

"I have another condition." You look to Ivar with your head held high. He admits a crown looks beautiful on your head.

"What is it?" Ivar leans back in his chair.

"I am going to release my Ragnhild from her bondage in good standing and give her land." You look to Ivar, who flicks his fingers at you.

"She's your thrall. Do whatever you want." He snorts. But by doing so– he knew you would be completely alone. Hvitserk would leave, Ragnhild would leave and so it would only be his family and you. Ragnhild fiddled with the many rings you had given her, twisting them on her pale fingers.