39

The next day Elijah threw a party, in order to form an alliance. Amity was of course invited, being one of the family, but she had a son to put to sleep. And it had been a month since the last time she saw Abraham. It got just a little easier every time she saw him.

"Hey," She said softly, walking towards him.
"My Queen." He gave her a small smile, but she frowned.
"You can't call me that." She shook her head.
"My apologies." He bowed his head, slightly.
"You want to go to dada?" She cooed at Izzy as shifted Izzy to him, and he gurgled. "Here you go."
"He's so beautiful."
"He looks like Benji and you. Why is it that our children always take after you?"
"Well Benji may have looked like me, but he was like his mother in every way that counted. And I'm sure Izzy will be the same." Abraham smiled. "You've missed quite a lot with your siblings."
"Aside from Rebekah's mistake a century ago, and her absence in this town and Hayley living with the werewolves?"
"You forgot Marcel's been exiled, your brother is spending quality time with the witch who caused Rebekah to suffer and Davina's alive."
"What? Since when?"
"You should call her tomorrow. She's been struggling. The witches of New Orleans don't come to the other side when they die. They have their own rules, being ancestral witches and all, so I couldn't communicate with her."
"I don't have her number."
"Why don't you call the vampire?"
"Josh!"
"Yeah."
"You know what, I will. But, tomorrow." She said and he nodded. She sighed. "Screw this." She took a step closer to Abraham and gave him a kiss. He kissed back, though his arms were occupied with holding Izzy. He pulled away a few seconds later.
"Amity. I can't let you do this to yourself."
"Do you still love me?" She asked and he looked at her, taken aback.
"Of course. How could you ever doubt that?"
"Then you must understand. My love for you is just as strong as it was when I was human- more so. My feelings were amplified when I turned. My love for you will never die out. I don't care what my siblings say. Moving on doesn't just happen. If I haven't moved on in the last millennium, what are the chances I can move on now."
"I know. But it's not healthy."
"Well nobody said it would be easy. Seeing you once a month knowing that I'm not yours and you're not mine, that hurts more than you could imagine."
"Well... maybe you should take a few months to get yourself in order."
"I've loved you since I was a little girl. It's going to take more than a few months to get over you, if it's even possible. And we're doing this for Izzy. So he can have some semblance of a normal childhood."
"Because his mother having to die every family time is normal?" Abraham looked at her, sarcastically.
"Because seeing his mother and father together is normal. I can handle seeing you, once a month. I can get through that, but only if I don't have to try to move on or let you go. Because then I'll have you to look forward to. Once a month- we can make that work."
"It isn't fair to you."
"No. You know what's not fair? Not being able to look at you a few moments longer than I should because apparently there are limits to how long I can stare at you. Not being able to touch you, because you're not mine to touch. To have to pretend that every time I look at you, I'm not inwardly hurting because I am not allowed to love you, even if that's all I've ever known."
"Ami-"
"I just don't want to lose you. I've lost too much."
"But I'm already gone. You came to terms with it once before."
"That was before I knew you were looking over my shoulder, that you're still here."
"I'm sorry."
"What if I could find a way to get you back?" Amity proposed.
"No!" Abraham was quick to disagree, violently shaking his head. "No no no. I will not let you dabble in the dark arts for me. Especially not with Izzy to think of." He lowered his voice as Izzy started to fuss. Amity took Izzy from his arms to slightly quieten him.
"But what if-"
"No, Amity. Promise me you won't. That darkness- once you touch it, it's imprinted on you for life. Look at what happened to your mother." A sour look appeared on Amity's face.
"Don't compare me to her."
"Don't give me a reason to." He gave her a half smile. "Now, you need the second half of the spell. For your unborn niece."
"And then I can focus on saving Freya. Find a way to break Dahlia's hold on her."
"Perhaps you should tell your siblings?"
"No. Definitely not. As far as I can tell, Freya and Dahlia are in some sort of deep sleep. The moment I tell Nik, or even Elijah, they'll go searching for her to defeat her. It's the only way they know how to protect those they care about. Eliminate the threat."
"Not if you tell them how powerful Dahlia is."
"Especially if I tell them how powerful she is. They've spent a millennium running. They'd rather take on Dahlia than allow the baby to have to go on the run as well. I have to figure out another plan." She looked down at her son and turned back to Abraham. "I should go back, now. Put Izzy to bed."
"I'll see if I can find any spells, on my end." He kissed her forehead, then Izzy's, and she smiled.
"I love you."
"I love you too." He replied.