12

"Thanks." I smiled at Hayley as she gave me a cup of tea.
"Hey, you're always making me some. I figure it's my turn." She said. "So, you've been through this whole pregnancy thing before right?"
"Yeah. So if you need anything, I'm here."
"Were you afraid?"
"Absolutely. For two reasons. I was afraid I wouldn't be a good enough mother. I mean, you're lucky you never met mine. I had a really bad mom, so I was afraid I'd be a really bad one. I was a total mess."
"How did you get over it?"
"I may have had a bad mother, but I had a pretty awesome mother-in-law. She was there for me any time I needed. She told me it was okay to be afraid. She said she knew I'd make a good mother, because I was already starting to worry about my child and his future."
"She sounds awesome."
"She was. Somehow she was good friends with my mother, which I never understood, but I was grateful." I put my hand over Hayley's. "You have me, Hayley. If ever you feel like you need to talk, I'm here. You're family. And you are going to make an awesome mother. You could have gotten rid of her or him, you chose to fight. Fight for your baby. And that's what really matters. Fighting for your kid."
"What's the other reason?"
"What?"
"You said two reasons why you were afraid. What's the second?"
"It's a long story."
"What was it?"
"Let's not get into it."
"Why not?"
"Look at all you're going through. Surely you don't need more on your plate."
"I can handle it."
"I'm sure you can. I know you're tough, trust me, I get it but, all you need to know is there was something really bad going on. Esther, my mother, did something. She didn't tell me the full story until I found out I was pregnant with Benji. It took three years for Abraham and I to find a solution. But we did. Good prevailed and all that. But those three years were some of the darkest times of my life. I started looking for a solution even while I was pregnant, I used up a lot of my magic, didn't really look after myself. I was exhausted every day, I wore myself thin. And when I was giving birth to Benji, I almost died because I didn't give my body the proper nourishment. I was too exhausted. If it weren't for Ayana and Abraham, I would have died before I got the chance to even hold my son. So believe me when I tell you, sometimes ignorance is bliss. Do you really need more to worry about?"
"I'm sorry."
"So am I. So let's just move on. New subject."
"How did your date go yesterday?"
"It went great. I'm starting to fall for Isaac. It kind of feels a little wrong."
"To be happy? That's normal, but you gotta know it's okay."
"I'm going to tell him the truth. He's sticking around till after the third date, and before he gets in any deeper, he should know the truth."
"If he doesn't take it well?"
"I'll compel him to forget we went out. And then part ways, I suppose."
"If he takes it great?"
"Then we continue."
"I found out something." Hayley told me.
"Yeah?"
"My baby. She's a girl."
"That's awesome. This family could use more girls." I smiled enthusiastically, and Hayley grinned.
"Hey, can I ask you a favour?"
"Of course."
"Always be there for her. If anything ever goes wrong, she's going to need you. You know how to parent, and you can help her with her powers. If I don't make it or something, will you be there for her?"
"Don't talk like that Hayley. You'll survive and be an awesome kick ass mom. And I'm going to be here as her aunt and you're going to be an aunt to my son and we will both be doing all this together."
"Of course."
"Good."

"I told you Agnes, I feel great!" Agnes was pestering Hayley to go see a doctor.
"You are overdue for a checkup."
"What am I gonna do? Pop into the Quarter for a quick ultrasound? A pregnant werewolf escorted by a witch? Nothing to see here!" Hayley said sarcastically.
"A lot of women would kill to have a child." Rebekah said with envy in her tone. "It strikes me as odd that you're not taking better care of yours."
"Rebekah." I said in a warning tone.
"I know a doctor out in the Bayou, off the beaten path. Now, I took the liberty of making an appointment for you. Tonight, after-hours, just us. Vampires will never get word of it."
"Okay, fine." She gave in. "Bayou-baby-doctor it is."
"And you?" Agnes looked at me.
"Thanks, but no thanks. I have trust issues with witches."
"But you-" Rebekah frowned at me.
"Bonnie doesn't count. She was family and let's not forget that she was part of a plan to kill Nik twice, not including the time she and her mother teamed up with Esther to kill you all."
"What about-"
"But I will come with you Hayley. For company."
"Thanks." She grinned. My phone chimed with a text.
I'm going to be at the Dauphine street music festival tonight. I'm trusting you~ Davina
"Is it loverboy?" Rebekah smirked as I saved Davina's number.
"Yeah." I lied typing a reply. "Who else?"
Tonight?
You can't make it?
I can try, but I have something to attend to. I might not be able to make it.
"Are you sure you don't want to get checked out?"
"Look, this isn't my first time. I know what to go through. Really I'm totally fine without a doctor. And I really don't trust you. I mean, you and your lot did bring an innocent baby into your vendetta against Marcel."