Chapter 3

Chapter 3: Steven’s POV

                I got home late yesterday, because of Nate’s, my bestfriend, school-is-out party. Rule #1.3 Be present in every party, you are worthy enough than a gold patty. I remember being with Veronica, dancing, drinking less than legal liquids, throwing up a little (or at least I think it is), going home driven by Nate and scolded by my mother. Now, I wake up with a throbbing headache with the help of the moving surroundings, and on my couch. But, how? I got up off the bed, not minding the hang over, went downstairs, and found mom and Lucy in the kitchen.

“Morning mom,” I salute my mom, mockingly. “Morning baby,” I turn to Lucy, earning a giggle. “Noon. Good noon, Steven” she smile. I leer at her.

“Good morning. Take your lunch,” mom is also the best ironic speaker.

                After we ate our lunch, I was about to go upstairs when-

“Tidy up, we’re going somewhere, your clothes are on your bed” that’s my mom.

“Okay.” I answered with hesitation. When I got to my room, fresh clothes are neatly piled up on my bed. I need not to waste my time questioning my mom’s sudden behavior. I quickly got to the bathroom, put on my clothes, then, went downstairs. I heard my mom’s voice outside; I see them on her car.

I am seated at the back seat, Lucy on the front seat, and mom is driving. It was a long quiet drive, I’m not use to Lucy not singing during a road trip. Then, a hypothesis is forming in my head.

“Mom, where are we going?” I raise one eyebrow, questioning. She looks at me at the rear view mirror, and sighed heavily. I figure out she does not want to discuss this.

“Lucy, where are we going?” i bent forward between the driver’s and the front seats, to see her face. I know she is not happy about it, as well. She looks at me then to my mom, then to me again. She was about to answer but a simple death sentence came out from my mom’s mouth.

“To your dad’s parents.” She declares.

“WHAT?! Mom, you didn’t ask for my permission, and I’m sure as hell, you didn’t ask Lucy’s. I’ve got more IMPORTANT things to do than be there!” I breathe out realizing I yell on her. “Look, I’m sorry for what I’ve done yesterday, okay? It won’t happen again. If this is your form of punishment, please send me to a summer class, summer job, boarding school, spiritual exercises convention, or even to Juvenile!” I almost shriek. Almost.

My mom looks at me with a tremor, surprise and astonishment for a second, then focus on the road. A second passed and she burst out laughing, “Juvenile? Seriously, Steven it is not as bad as what you have in mind. The only thing you haven’t mention though is hell. They loved you when they last saw you 16 years ago, and I’m sure they still do.” She assures me. Well, not really helping but I didn’t push further. Hell, they are the parents of my fucking sperm donor dad. What if they are worse than him? He never cared, sure he calls us once a week but that doesn’t qualify caring. What if they don’t care, too?

“Will they love me too?” Lucy asks.

“They will, honey. They wanted to meet you since forever.” She said with an excited smile.

                The next thing I know we stop at a big modern house, floors are made of posh woods with welcoming yellow wallpapers and the smell of brewed coffee. Lucy and I are introduced to them, then, we are being hugged, and went upstairs to unpack. My grandparents are warm welcoming people, they’re cool too. With this big house, I can invite the entire campus to party. My room is pretty big, ornamented with big flat screen TV, X-box, huge closet with new clothes, and a small veranda, facing the sea.

                By 3:30 pm, I decided to take a run. I was running when I found this big-leafed secluded tree by the seashore. I stopped my track and went towards it. I was walking towards the tree when I found a figure of a lady, about my age or so, sag on a picnic blanket on the sand. I went near the tree, not minding a little break; I sit beside the lady without a single hesitation. I can feel the lady watching me; I turn my gaze from the sea to her. I can see she’s very attractive with her wavy light brown hair down flying because of the wind, knitted eyebrow, green eyes with curiosity, perfect curved nose, and full plum lips. Rule 3.1, wherever you settle, find someone to cuddle.

I did my perfectly practiced charming smile “Hi, I’m-“ I started when she cut me.

“Save it. You’re on my territory,” motioning to the blanket, “so be quiet.” She demanded, then, turned to eye the sea like it is the most fascinating thing in the world.

“I just-“ I am being cut again, I don’t like it, even my friends use to hear out my whole sentence. Who does this lady thinks she is?

“Shhhhhhhhhhhh!” she looks at me with wide eyes.

“okay, okay” I told her with irritation evident in my voice.

I look at the sea and sighed heavily.

Summer by the Seashore, huh?