Part 10 : The Monster

Bell chased after Clarke while I went back to my spot in the trees. Clarke ran into the center of the crowd where Murphy stood. "You son of a bitch!" Clarke cried. Everyone stopped what they were doing to watch the scene unfold. Murphy gave Clarke a confused look.

"What's you problem?" Murphy scoffed.

"Recognise this?" Clarke showed the knife, Murphy's initials shining in the light to be seen by everyone.

"It's my knife! Where'd you find?" Murphy asked as he tried to reach for it. Clarke held it out of reach.

"Where you dropped it after you killed Wells," Clarke said. Everyone around them froze.

"Where I what? The Grounders killed Wells, not me," Murphy seemed genuinely confused. Was it not him?

"I know what you did, and you're gonna pay for it," Clarke threatened. Octavia came to stand behind Bellamy.

"Really? Bellamy, you really believe this crap?" I looked across the field of delinquents to see if it could be anyone else or if anyone was having an odd reaction. Something just told me it wasn't Murphy.

"You threatened to kill him. We all heard you. You hated Wells." Clarke continued to talk, but I just kept looking for other suspects.

"Plenty of people hated Wells. His father was the Chancellor that locked us up." Murphy had a point, and anybody could have stolen that knife. Murphy's an idiot; he doesn't keep that thing protected!

"Yeah, but you're the only one who got in a knife fight with him." Clarke said.

"Yeah, I didn't kill him then, either."

"Tried to kill Jasper, too," Octavia pointed out.

"Come on. This is ridiculous. I don't have to answer to you. I don't have to answer to anyone," Murphy said. He was irritated, but scared.

"Come again?" Bell threatened.

"Bellamy, look, I'm telling you, man. I didn't do this," Murphy pleaded.

"Is this the kind of society that we want? You say there should be no rules. Does that mean that we can kill each other without... without punishment?"

"I already told you. I didn't kill anyone," Murphy argued.

"I say we float him," Octavia suggested. I was getting frustrated. I was looking for anyone that could have been guilty. Something just told me that it wasn't Murphy. The delinquents agreed and cheered on O's horrible idea.

"That's not what I'm saying," Clarke said.

"Why not? He deserves to float. It's justice!"

"Revenge isn't justice." Clarke said.

"It's justice. Float him!" O cheered.

"No! Get off him! Get off of him! Let him go! You can't do this! Get off me. No!" Clarke fought as the crowd took a hold of Murphy. She ran to Bellamy to try and talk some sense to him. "No! You can stop this! They'll listen to you!" Bellamy glared at her, frustrated with the position she put him in. They held Murphy down as they tied a rope around his neck.

"Bellamy! You should do it." One of the delinquents suggested. Bellamy looked at the crate underneath Murphy.

"Bel-la-my! Bel-la-my!" The delinquents chanted.

"I saw you in the woods with Atom. I know you're not a killer." Clarke cried. I couldn't let Bell do this. If he did this, and was wrong, he would regret it.

"Bellamy, don't do this. Don't..." Murphy begged as he held on to the rope around his neck for dear life.

"Don't. Bellamy. You can't do this,Bellamy. No," Clarke cried out.