Short Story #4

Legend says there are two great creatures

They have had a lifelong feud with one another. They have been in constant pursuit of each other for thousands of years. One has never succeeded in catching the other, and they never will. They chase each other for power. They both want to rule the world, but are unable to do so together because of their contrast.

One is strong and bright, too bright to be gazed upon by the eyes of man. In his glory, he shines brighter than any gem. He is also cocky and prideful, and believes himself victorious. He is only seen in the light of day. His enemy, however, is more dim. She prefers the cover of darkness. Even though she does not glow, she still shines in the night. She uses her ever-changing form to disguise herself and throw off her enemy.

The feud of these great creatures is often seen in the domain of man. Each night and morning as one fights for the glory of the other, the sky itself changes its form. Their fight causes the sky itself to change from hues of blue to hues of pink, red, and orange. I have even seen the sky turn a brilliant purple. And although these creatures typically do not meet in their battle, they will clash once in a while. They will meet in the skies, in the cover of darkness or the glory of light. When they clash, whoever has dominion will cover the face of the other. If in the darkness of night, the dim one will turn red in her anger. She is frustrated that her disguise did not work. The reality is, her enemy has always seen past her disguise and only catches her when the time is right. They'll fight for a bit, then go their separate ways.

In the glory of light, however, there is much more of a spectacle. The sky will change before they even meet. The sky will become more grey as the light's enemy creeps in. Strange shadows riddle the ground. Birds will go to roost and crickets will chirp as if it's dusk. As the light's enemy draws near, it will become dark. Humans will gather outdoors to watch the spectacle. When the creatures do meet, it becomes as dark as night. The light's enemy covers his bright face in her limited triumph. Despite her one moment of glory, the light is too bright to be snuffed out. He still shines in a fiery ring around her. The creatures create a beautiful contrast of dark and light. This only lasts for a moment, though, and it is all over as soon as it appeared.

Have you figured out who these feuding creatures are? If not, us humans have given the great creatures names:

Sun and Moon