Surprise

Flashback- Narrator
Zu took a deep breath before she slid open the 2-A door and froze in the doorway. That wasn't right. Her heart skipped a beat as it began to pound in her ears. Her first instinct was to teleport but something told her to stay and figure out what was going on.

"Hiya lil' listener!"

Yep, that was weird. This was not good.

"...Hi," Zu responded uncertainly, forcing her breathing to remain steady and slow, "why are you up so late?" she asked, looking to Mr Yamada and Recovery Girl (AKA Chiyo).

"We could ask you the same question." Chiyo spoke up.

"I couldn't sleep," the girl answered easily, "I thought a walk might help and, you know, I kinda miss being here."

They both nodded, "That's weird, we thought you were here for a clandestine meeting with Aizawa?"

Zu paused a moment before responding, "Where is Mr Aizawa?"

"He's sick, I wouldn't let him leave his room, it took a lot of convincing."

Zu's eyes widened a fraction as she tried to think of what to do in this situation. Protocol said she should only speak with Aizawa but it also said she had to check in at least once a week unless there were extreme circumstances. So what was she supposed to do now?

"What's the code?" she asked robotically, watching their reactions carefully.

Both looked to the other, frowning, "There was a code?" Yamada asked.

Zu nodded, keeping a close eye on them both.

"Aizawa didn't tell me about a code." Yamada said quickly, clearly in a panic, Chiyo agreeing as she rested her head in her hands, tired of the annoying black-haired man.

Satisfied with their reactions, Zu softened, "Good, because there is no code."

They both looked very relieved.

"Nothing new to report, I still can't get into the locked room, I'm not sure why, I'll keep investigating. That's all."

She turned to leave but Yamada stopped her, "Wait! Don't you just, wanna," he tried, desperate to keep her from leaving so soon, "talk for a bit?"

Zu turned back with a sigh, she didn't particularly want to talk with them and Aizawa never really made her talk to him, though they usually ended up talking for quite a bit for a multitude of reasons. She guessed at this point, she was just more comfortable speaking to Aizawa.

"Aizawa told you to make sure I had a proper conversation, didn't he?"

Yamada hesitated for just a few too many moments, "No, I just thought since, well, you're doing undercover work, it might be nice to talk with people you don't have to lie to."

Zu smiled faintly, she knew he was lying, but he made a point, even if she was still keeping some things secret, it was nice not to have to flat out lie continuously or play the character for a bit.

Zu relented, "What do you want to talk about?"

"How are your ears?" came Chiyo's almost instant reply.