Chapter 3

"So, where do you guys live?" Dig asks, opening up the back door of the rental car.

"We don't exactly have a home," Tommy answers as we climb in.

I backhand him on the shoulder, quickly turning to Dig and saying, "You can drop us off at 225 Raven Street, it's in the Glades."

"But-- "

"Shut up," I mumble, making sure my brother hears.

He must've because he sits back in his seat and huffs.

225 Raven Street doesn't exist in this time, so I don't know what I'll say when they realize that.

Mom whispers something in Dig's ear as he climbs in the driver's seat. His mouth forms an 'o' as he looks back at the two of us in the third row.

"That place doesn't exist." There is no emotion in his voice as he says this.

"Fine, you caught us," I start. "We're orphans. We weren't actually visiting our dad, we've been stuck on that island since our parents died, and we just now are able to come home. We don't know William. And our real names are Robert and Megan, but we go by our middle names, Laurel, or  Ari, and Thomas, or Tommy."

I take a deep breath after my babble.

"I need to stop babbling like mom," I whisper to Tommy.

"You think?"

I sigh, sitting back in my seat and buckling my seat belt. Tommy does the same without the sigh. 

We sit in silence on the way back to Dig's apartment where Tommy and I will be staying until further notice.

"We're here," Dig says, shutting off the car and climbing out to open the back door for Tommy and me.

"Thank you, Mr. Diggle," I say, a small smile gracing my face as I climb out.

"Yeah, thank you, Mr. Diggle," Tommy says, doing the same.

He nods. "Call me John, or Dig like those two." He gestures to our young parents with his head.

Mom and dad are walking inside with dad's things which consist of his clothes he came into custody with and mom's necklace they let dad keep in prison. They are talking, walking side by side. Their shoulders are together as though they aren't allowed to separate. They are never like this at home. They do always touch, but not like this.

"Okay, Dig. Why do you still follow Mr. Queen around if you're not his bodyguard anymore?" Tommy asks.

"Well, we just became great friends, I guess."

"We know that you're Spartan and Mrs. Queen is Overwatch," Tommy blurts.

I cover his mouth with my hands, but he licks and bites at them.

"Gross!" I yell, wiping my palms on his jacket.

"How did you know that?"

"We're from the fut--" I cut him off again, this time by tackling him to the ground on sitting on his chest.

"From where?" Dig asks.

Tommy makes a wheezing sound when he tries to answer.

"Nowhere," I say. 

He turns his head to the side, looking at us from the corner of his eye. "Sure."

He walks away yelling, "There's only one bed in the room," over his shoulder.

"Mine!" I say, jumping off Tommy and running to the room that would later become Josie's.

Wheezing, Tommy runs after me.