Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

I have to get out of here. That was the only thought going through my head as I lay there in the dungeon. By whatever means necessary, I have to get out, because if I don’t, I’m going to die.

I don’t pull at the chains anymore. After trying to break free all night my wrist are covered in marks, drawing blood in some places.

The truth is I don’t know what to do. I’m stuck. When a hit a wall before Nicollo was always there to help, and we solved almost everything. The only problem we couldn’t solve was where this place is, but I don’t think that’d be very useful to me know, when I don’t have a way to get out.

The stone walls don’t let in any light. There are no windows and no fires. The last time I could see was when I woke up and the fey was talking to me. Now its pitch black, and I don’t know how long it’s been.

I don’t know what the state of the outside world is. Have the fey completed what they wanted? Is it an eternal winter now? No, that can’t be. If they have me locked up, then they plan on sacrificing me, which means they still have more to do.

I let out a sigh of relief. The world isn’t saved, but at least the fey haven’t completed what they started yet. Nicollo is still out there. He’s probable trying to save me, or the world, whichever comes first. He’ll figure something out. I have to do my own part to, and at the moment that means coming up with a plan and escaping.

Problem one, I’m chained to the floor. Maybe if I had a screw I could loosen the bindings, but that would require my other hand witch is also held tight. I could get the fey to unlock me, but I haven’t seen one since I woke up, and besides why would the let me go? Could I somehow convince them that my death is unnecessary?

The big doors open but no lights flood in. I don’t know who’s here, or what their purpose is. It could very well be my time to die. Sweat runs down my forehead, seemingly ignoring the below freezing temperatures. I could die from them before the fey come to get me.

Something is thrown in front of me, “Food,” a man says and leaves. I’m unable to eat it. I don’t know what my captors where thinking. You need hands to eat, and at the time I’m lacking those.

While the food is no delicacy, it’s sitting inches from me cruel. I’m unable to eat and because of it I’m hungry. I wonder what it is. There’s no smell coming from it. It must be frozen by know. I don’t want to think about what could have gotten to it already. Who knows what’s crawling around on these floors.

Time passes in silence. I wish I had some way of knowing how long it’s been. I started to count the seconds, and went with it for a long time. I got to fifteen minutes before I had to stop because of lack of energy. If I could just have the tick of a clock, or the ringing of a school bell, anything to tell how long I’ve been here.

I’m going crazy. This would constitute as cruel and unusual punishment, and murder. The entire group would be put on death row if there caught. Look at that, I’m not even sure if they will anymore. It might have been days since I was kidnapped, and no one’s come for me, not successfully. Then again, humans can’t survive without water, and I’ve had none of it. I can’t have been more than half a day.

As it turned out I was right, but not for long. The fay came back to give me dinner. He was angry at me for not eating breakfast. I guess that means there’s no lunch for prisoners.

He kicked me in the stomach, leaving bruises that I could feel for days afterwards. The only good think that’s happened was that I got him to release the chains on one of my hands, but only while I’m eating, then it’s right back to where it was before.

If I’m counting the meals right then I’ve been here for five days. Breakfast, dinner, breakfast, dinner, breakfast, dinner, breakfast, dinner, breakfast, dinner. I do wonder how long it will be before I lost count.

I don’t know why it’s taking them so long to kill me. If I’m being hopeful then it means that they don’t plan on killing me, but I know that’s not true. Who am I kidding, they’re probably waiting for just the right moment, when the stars are aligned, or they’ve collected all the materials the need to make the ceremony just right.

I need to escape.

Food is thrown at my feet, and my fey guard unlocks one of my hands. I nod at him, acknowledging his presence. I pick up the food and swallow it down. I’ve been eating it for too long to notice the lack of taste.

This is my chance. I grab the fork of the plate and slip it behind me. Is this worth trying? If I fail then my treatment is going to be even worse, but if I’m successful, then I’m out of here.

I look up at the guard. I need to get this in his eye, or stab his foot. He needs to be disabled long enough, and close enough to me so I can grab his keys.

He comes closer and kicks my tray scatter in the food across the floor, “You looked done,” he says with a hint of enjoyment in his voice.

He crouches down to lock me back up. With all my force I jam the fork into his eye with little resistance. He screams in agony and backs away. With my free hand I yank him back down and search in his pockets. There not in the first one or the second. I panic. They have to be here. I know he has them, he uses them every day. I grasp at his shirt pocket and the break off into my hands now sweaty with nervousness. I fumble at the lock, trying to quickly find the opening. My other hand is free.

The guard try’s to grab me and get me to stop, but I swing at him with the key causing even more scars in the proses. The guard is injured on the floor, and in no position to follow me. He might as well be blinded for life. “Come back here,” he screams. I don’t want to know what he would do if he gets me. I wouldn’t be safe.

I swing my fist at him square in the nose and I hear it crack. Even if I broke his nose he deserved it.

 While he’s pushed away I free my feet as well and in seconds I’m off, pushing open the heavy doors and running to freedom. I can see Nicollo again, and the sun, and the school. I can talk with him and Amelia and Amir, even the witch teacher. I’m almost free.

I run as far as my feet can take me, but as I continue the reality dawns on me. I don’t know how to get out. The maze of corridors has me locked in. I’m practically waiting for someone to come an lock me up again.