Chapter Three

Chapter Three

“Can I come in now?” Amir asks as he leans in towards the window as far as he can before his noes touch the glass.

I decline, “Why should I let you in?”

He picks up a piece of the now white snow, “because I didn’t cause this.” It falls through his fingers and back to the ground. The overhead lights reflecting against the icy crystals and it falls.

“That doesn’t make you any less dangerous.” I pull the blinds shut and go into my bedroom; unfortunately there are windows there too.

I get out my homework to distract me. It doesn’t help that it’s the book assigned to us from the class I have with Amir. Still I flip open Romeo and Juliet to read the book for the third time. English teachers love to assign this book for no apparent reason and here I am stuck reading it again. After reading the first few acts I set the book down, board out of my mind. I had somehow managed to forget about the man at my window, but one glance in that directing and I can see his eyes in between the blinds.

I open them up, “What are you still doing here? It’s almost midnight,” I ask him.

“I’ve been alive for thousands of years my darling girl. Waiting mere hours for what is mine is no task,” he moves his hand as if to break the glass and come in, but he does nothing.

“You’d like to ask me a question wouldn’t you?” he asks.

“How did you know that.” The question had only just occurred to me, and yet he already knows I want to ask it.

“It’s in your face. You really can’t hide your emotions can you?”

“It’s none of your business,” I say and start to close the blinds, but I really am curious. “How were you able to be in class this morning? The sun was as bright as it could be, and yet your unharmed.” He laughs completely against his character. It’s a deep heartfelt laugh that I don’t understand. I glare at him, “Fine if you don’t want to answer you don’t have to.”

I completely shut the blinds, “Special windows. The block out the uv rays, but don’t worry. There expensive. No one in their right mind would by them unless it was absolutely necessary.” I go back to open up the blinds and continue the conversation but he’s gone.

“Ryan he visited me last night,” I say to my friend the moment I get to class.

“Who visited you?” he leans in like he’s prepared to hear gossip.

“Amir, the vampire who tried to claim me yesterday,” I tell him. This is a serious matter and he’s treating it like I’m about to tell him what I thought of last night episode of Game of Thrones.

“What did he do?” He asks with the same voice of excitement.

“Nothing, but it scared the hell out of me. Luckily he wasn’t in English today.”

His eyes widen, “Wait he’s in your English class?”

“I told you that already didn’t I?” I sight. You’re falling behind Ryan.

“Yes, yes sorry. So what are you going to do?” he ask as the bell rings and Mrs. Len walks in.

“I don’t know,” I whisper to him. We wait a few minutes for class to start when Mrs. Len waves us of and tells us to once again do what we want.

“Do what we want, does that mean we can do anything?” I ask Ryan unsure if our teacher wants us to sit in on another class like we did yesterday.

“I guess so. Do you want to go play in the snow?” He asks like an excited child.

“My clothes will get all wet. Do you really want to be like that for the rest of the day?”

He pouts, “Fine I’ll play by myself, but let’s at least go outside.” I agree to it and we walk out the back doors to a field of snow.

I sit down on the steps as Ryan jumps nee deep into a hill of fluff. Leaning back, I close my eye and let the sun shine on my face. At least he can’t get to me here. I’m taken out of my peaceful daydream as a ball of snow collides with my face. “What the hell!” My eyes pinpoint exactly where my friend is and I stare him down while I prepare and attack of my own. “Ryan.”

“Yes?” He say completely aware of what he’s just done.

I fire my own snowball directly into his face, “You shouldn’t hit a lady,” I try to stay mad but I can’t help but let a smile slid onto my face. We throw ball after ball at each other until both of us are out of breath.

“You can put up a fight,” he says and starts to make a snow angle. I’m smarter than that and am now resting on the barren pavement.

“Idiot,” is all I can say. For the most part I’m still dry but these clothes absolute must go in the wash after this.

I start to make another ball when I see that the snow I’ve packed together is pink. It’s darker than it was last night, but when I look all around it’s the same. The entire ground has completely changed color.

“Do you see this?” I ask Ryan.

“See what? Were you going to throw another one at me? I knew it.” He gets up to retaliate, but I don’t have the time for it.

“I have to go.” I say and rush back inside. I hear him ask where as I leave but I’m too far away and too busy to answer. I search for the room that we walked past yesterday, the one that holds the class for vampires.

“What did you do Amir?” I say as I throw the doors open. Thirty plus predatory eyes turn my way, their dark nature in stark contrast with the sun seeping through the windows.

“Darling Giselle, have you come to see me?”

I back out suddenly aware of my mistake. I try to cover my neck with what little collar my shirt has. “No I want to know why the snow is red again.”

“There’s nothing wrong with the snow,” he whispers into my ear.

“What about last night?”

“I was playing with you my dear. It is so fun.”

I push him away from me as tears well up at the corners of my eyes, “You lied to me,” I find myself once again running away. I stop at my locker and rest my forehead against the thin wooden door; after all no prestigious school would have the cheap metals ones.

“Giselle, what’s wrong?” Nicollo ask me.

Instead of answering the question I give him a question in return. “When did you get here?”

“Not too long ago. The bells have rung. What’s wrong Giselle?” he asks again.

A lone tear slides down my cheek, “No one believes me.”

“About the pink snow,” he says to my surprise, and offers me a handkerchief. I use it to wipe my eyes, but the tears are gone and I can’t help but to smile.

“Red sounds more intimidating, but yes the pink snow.” I hand it back to him. “Do you know what is happening?”

He becomes serious and shakes his head, “No, but I must find out.”