Chapter 6

“Jack!” I whisper. He turns to me then looks away. “Jack, where were you first period? I didn’t see you. I thought we were in the same classes.” He finally says something.

            “Annie, it’s none of your business. I was at… the principal’s office. Getting my schedule changed so that it would match yours.” I know he’s lying by the way his eyes glance everywhere.

            “Fine, don’t tell me.” I say. He just shakes his head. I roll my eyes.

            “Annie, why are you talking to him?” Emily asks.

            “Why not? He’s just a regular guy. I’m staying with his family for the exchange student program.” I say. Abby and Emily glance at each other.

            “Weren’t you listening to anything I said to you in biology?” Abby asked. I fell quiet. “Well, I was telling you about cliques, and he’s Elsa’s boyfriend.”

            “Who’s Elsa?” I ask. Abby face palms herself.

            “Elsa is this school’s Queen Bee. She’s in a popular clique along with a girl named Merida. Jack and a boy named Hiccup are also in it, but they aren’t really popular like Elsa.” Emily explains.

            “Oh.” I say.

            “Hey, why don’t you sit with us at lunch?” Emily asks.

            “And don’t forget to bring Leo.” Abby says with a wink. Emily rolls her eyes.

            Math went by pretty quickly. I talked Emily and Abby and I actually listened this time. Next was lunch, I couldn’t wait till then. I would be able to talk to Emily and Abby freely without having to worry about being caught. When the bell rings I race them to the cafeteria. Leo and I sit down first because we brought home lunch.

            “So, did you find anyone?” Leo asked.

            “What?” I ask.

            “You know, for Chiron.” I completely forgot about the mission. I mentally face palm myself.

            “No I haven’t seen anyone yet.” I say. “Wait, who’s that?” Just then Emily and Abby sit down.

            “Looking at Elsa?” Emily says.

            “That’s her? Dang, she’s pretty-“Leo starts.

            “Pretty ugly.” Abby says. We all look at her. “What?” Emily giggles.

           “So, she’s Elsa.” I say. Abby nods. Leo and I make eye contact. I think we’ve come to an understanding. Elsa is a demigod.