Chapter 9

Theophanes and Isaac sat beside the fire outside their tent and watched the dark red glow of a city in flames on the horizon. The crackle of the inferno could be heard on the night air, occasionally punctuated by the rumble of collapsing buildings.

‘My God,’ muttered Isaac. ‘That could have been Antioch.’

‘It is a reminder of why we are here,’ Theophanes agreed. ‘Although suddenly being here no longer feels quite so comfortable. Here we sit in a Persian camp watching a Roman city burn.’

‘Not through choice, Theophanes.’

‘Even so. I long since stopped feeling like a prisoner.’

‘It doesn’t make you a traitor, Theophanes. Not to your father. Not to your city.’ Isaac took a swig of wine and prodded at the fire. ‘How many of those poor devils in Caesarea watching their homes burn down right now wouldn’t trade places with you?’

Theophanes sighed.

‘I’m glad we surrendered Antioch to the Persians,’ Isaac continued. ‘There is a Roman army not a day’s march away and they’ve done nothing to defend the city. They just let Shahrbaraz take what he wanted and burn it to the ground. Hardly inspires loyalty does it?’

‘This new emperor Heraclius will surely fight.’

‘No doubt he will. Why overthrow Phocas if not to save the empire? And we shall have a front row seat my friend.’

Their conversation was interrupted by one of Shahrbaraz’s pages.
‘The general invites you to join him,’ he informed them before walking back the way he had come.

‘Why does it feel like the general is always listening?’ Isaac chuckled.

They made their way through the camp to the general’s tent and found Shahrbaraz still in his armour and streaked with the dust and grime of the day.

‘Gentlemen. I thought you may be troubled by today’s events. I wanted to reassure you that the populace of Caesarea were permitted to leave the city unharmed. It is regrettable to put it to the torch but you understand that this is a necessity of war?’

‘It is not our place to question your actions, General,’ Theophanes replied, keeping his tone neutral. He knew Shahrbaraz was right. There was no sense in leaving the city intact as a source of supply for the enemy. He cursed himself inwardly for thinking of his own people in such terms.

‘Even so. I do not wish you to think that I do these things lightly.’

‘We know you are a man of honour, General,’ Isaac said.

Shahrbaraz nodded, seemingly satisfied. ‘There is a strong guard around the camp tonight and I remain, as you see, vigilant. Although I think the Roman has no stomach for a fight.’

Theophanes forced himself to relax and pushed his turbulent thoughts to the back of his mind.

‘This Roman has the stomach for a fight, General.’ Theophanes settled himself down  at the shatranj board, picking up a knight and decisively moving it forward. ‘Let us see if I can finally beat you tonight.’

Shahrbaraz smiled and knelt down opposite Theophanes.
‘You are getting better, but I still have a few tricks to teach you.’

They played for a time in silent concentration whilst Isaac looked on.

‘Will you march against them in the morning, General?’ Isaac asked at last.

‘If I can catch up with them I shall offer battle,’ Shahrbaraz replied. ‘I shall chase them all the way to the sea if I must.’