3 - Shifting Shots

I really enjoyed writing and reading this chapter. I decided to update early as the next chapter's going to come late.

Agent Ryann was on my tail and considering I didn't attend my follow up interview with the MEA, the whole department would be trying to sniff me out. I had walked through the front door, stuffed my backpack with a pair of jeans, t-shirts, socks, and my favourite underwear. Just as I was about to throw my wad of cash in, I paused. The asshole should be paying me this week.

I ended up flipping through the notes before opening the fridge to stare at empty racks. After some consideration I strode back outside and went for a run. Within hours I was satisfied and sprawled on my bed.

The next morning I dragged my body out of bed, ate a piece of bread, and prepped my zombie face for work. I tied my wavy hair up and slipped on the black shoes I hated so much.

Seeing myself in the mirror, I was the blandest looking waitress in this town. White shirt, ugly black skirt, and impractical flat shoes. I felt like dying whenever I wore it, I should be getting hazard pay for this.

I walked across the vacant driveway and made my way to work.

The café was open and busy that morning. Miki's café was pronounced above the double doors, its modest sign attracted all morning goers and business individuals. The classic man in suit and tie strode inside to order an energy fix. Women in similar fashion, and equally as ugly as my own, did the same. A busy business and the perfect place for small business to occur.

Without hesitation I went inside and picked my way to the back. Small tables and chairs milled around the area and a board was hanging on the wall with papers pinned to it. I went past the board, giving it a glance and continued to the bathroom.

"Miss Chase."

My hand hovered over the door handle. Gritting my teeth I swallowed a growl, resulting in a hiccup. Lifting the corners of my mouth I turned and said, "Mr Bossen."

"Your shift started half an hour ago."

I winced at his use of shift. There was no need to explain that I went for a run at dawn. Better to take the punishment and hope it makes him feel manly so he'll hand my pay cheque over.

"You can do the runs since you're so good at that. Looks like we're going to get busy today." He continued.

The irony was hilarious.

His stubby fingers brushed his brown moustache then flattened his tie. Broad shoulders and a slim waist complimented his physic. Taking a step backward he said, "Too bad you had split work before that body was found. Ya missed all the bloody excitement."

He laughed and left.

I sighed.

The boss wasn't kidding when he said business had picked up. More people than usual filled the venue. From single mothers, high school kids, industrial workers, all the way to corporates and CEOs came and went. As I ran the plates of food to the tables and cleared the used, I noticed people were looking down the side of the building.

Towards the back of the coffee shop there was an alleyway. The alley lead to a busy street. Since coming to this town I soon found out it was one of the highest used alleys.

But not today. People glanced at it and walked away, their feet didn't seem to carry them fast enough as they swung their arms wildly. There was a few outliers though. Some teens loitered in the car park nudging each other towards the entrance, chuckling. Only the brave would be taking the shortcut for the next few weeks.