Chapter 6: Palettes and Nightmares

Dedication: truthfulmistakes

A R I A

"What are you doing?" I whisper to the black figure.

I was in the guest bedroom in my old house, and the room was red. As if it had taken a bath in blood. I crane my neck to get a closer look, regretting it as I see the figure making a meal out of Dad's heart.

The figure spins around, crouching down with the heart in its hands. It growls at me, then stabs a long, bony finger into the heart and picks it up, using the nail as a fork. The creature takes another bite out of Dad's heart, and that's when I throw up.

All over my mother's body.

It had been ripped open, guts spilt everywhere and slashed.

"What the hell is this?" I cry, my eyes widening in fear.

The creature doesn't reply, but instead throws the heart over its shoulder and crawls to Dad's body, then rips off the arm with ease. The figure begins to bite into the arm, and with that, I feel a sudden surge of adrenaline. With a warrior cry, I run to the creature and kick it in the face with all my strength.

It falls back with a groan and gets back up in a second, the red eyes flashing with fury. It lunges at me and I hit the ground, my head slamming against the hard floor with such force that I hear a crack. I scream and try to kick my legs, but they don't move at all.

I then realize I'm lying next to Mom's body, her motionless hand touching my shoulder. I'm so distracted that I don't even pay attention to the creature until it's on top of me, ripping my heart out and stuffing it into the mouth.

"Delicious." It snarls.

I scream in agony and watch in horror as the monster consumes my organs, limbs, until finally, I black out.

●●●

"Aria! Aria, wake up!"

My eyelids fly open and I jump when I feel someone shaking me. I let my eyes adjust and squint at the person, taking in the mop of blond hair and the worried blue eyes.

"Miles?" I whisper, realizing I'm  shivering and freezing, but also drenched in sweat. I touch my cheeks, sighing when I feel the wetness.

"You left your window open and so did I, but I woke up and you were screaming." He explains with a raspy voice.

Is it just me or does he sound really sexy?

Snap out of it, Brooks!

Jeez, okay! Sorry.