Chapter 28: I Like You

A R I A

A R I A

"I think I just blew up the sky."

I follow Miles' voice outside of the house and find him standing in the backyard, staring at the stars with his eyes full of wonder.

"How the hell can someone blow up the sky?" I laugh.

"With these," He points to the grass. I tilt my head in confusion. What the heck? "Fireworks!"

"But there's nothing there," I tell him.

"Don't you see the fireworks? It's so beautiful." He shakes his head and juts his chin back in the direction of the sky, then turns to face me again. "Like you."

My breath hitches, and for a second I'm left dumbfounded. Did he really just call me beautiful? No, he's just messing with me. He's Miles, after all.

"Funny," I say, kicking at the pebbles and stuffing my hands into my pockets.

He frowns and stuffs another brownie into his mouth. Wait—where the hell did he get the whole bowl from? He wasn't holding anything a minute ago. Miles notices me staring at the bowl and holds it out for me. "Want swome?"

I smile and take one, but just as I'm about to pop it into my mouth, a stench hits my nose. Oh, shit. No wonder Miles and Lizzy had been acting odd for the past half an hour. They've been stuffing their faces with Hash brownies.

"I'm going to take this away from you." I snatch the bowl, but he starts to pout and it's just so cute.

"Give me!" He yells, reaching out to grab it. I stumble back and shake my head.

"Never!" I say. There's no way I'm letting him or Liz eat any more of these brownies. I doubt Ashley even knew about it.

Miles' pout turns into a sneer. "You have ten seconds to run, Shortcake."

"What do you mean?" I stand there, stupidly.

He smirks. "One."

"Oh, come on, dude. Are you really going to—"

"Two,"

"Can't we just—"

"Ten!" He yells, running towards me. I yelp and quietly beg my feet not to betray me while I dash into the house, clutching onto the bowl. The brownies swish inside, making me even more nervous as I run. Of course he skipped to ten instead of giving me an actual headstart. He's Miles, after all.

Just as I enter the kitchen, I slam into Lizzy. The brownies go sliding in all directions on the floor. I land on my butt, as does Liz. Zoe lends me a hand while Lizzy refuses to get up.

"No, no. The fairies are flying! They told me that they will turn me into one of them. I'm not moving until I can fly!"

"I guess you're going to be sitting on the floor for the rest of your life, then," Ryan says.