Chapter 1 - Remembering Phil

Once again, I was procrastinating.  I was preparing to move out of my parents’ house but so far, hadn’t had any luck with finding an apartment or a roommate.  Cardboard boxes were scattered around my room. It was a mess. 

 I pulled a smaller cardboard box closer to me. It wasn’t one I had already packed but one full of high school memories: Old essays, Projects and on top, lay my class photos.  The first one was my first year at high school.  I was on the third row from the bottom, and two people in from the right. On the row below, one person left, sat Philip Lester on the chairs.

  In year seven and eight, me and Philip shared ninety percent of our classes together. The only classes we didn’t share were maths and English. I was in bottom sets for maths and English whereas the brainy Philip Lester was in the top.

  We never really talked. I was messing around most of the time and Philip would be sat at the back making no sound at all. Philip was at the back for every lesson because he was such a goody two shoes so the teacher had no concerns about him messing around like I did.  I was always making dirty jokes or ‘Accidently’ swearing at the teacher. 

  I would often wonder where that kid ate and who he ate with, if he ate with anyone at all.  He was cute. I wanted to ask him to come eat lunch with me at some point, but never had the nerve to do it.  Maybe I didn’t just think he was cute. Maybe I loved him. Maybe I loved him and I didn’t know it. Not then, anyway.

  I skimmed through the photos and watched as his dark hair grew longer and longer each year. His pale skin and blue eyes stayed the same. Now I realised, he wasn’t just cute. He was beautiful.