Hostage - Chapter 4

Skyler's POV

I stare at the figure in the opposite room, my mouth gape in disbelief. "Stefan," I let out, barely a whisper. Stefan furrows his chocolate-brown eyes at me, confusion written all over them. Even though years have passed by, he still looks just as I had remembered. He lays on the ground, thin and gaunt. His light brown hair falls over his face, hiding the deep socket of his eyes, hiding his swollen eye. His eyes no longer held the carefree and warmth look. Instead, they hold a cold and scared and suffering look, begging to be free. I glance at the gray shirt and sweatpants he's wearing and immediately look away from them.

Stefan looks over my face and I know he's trying to rack his brain to figure out who I am. He opens his mouth but nothing comes out. He lets out a coughing fit, and after he's done, he flicks his eyes to me and tries again, "W-Who are you?" His voice is rough and scratchy, making me feel pitiful of him. A look of fear passes over his features but he makes a subtle move to hide it.

I look away from the boy I once knew. "Nobody you know," I say harshly, trying to rid his focus on me. Unfortunately, it fails and makes him even more curious. "No, no." He begins, I turn my attention back to him, his eyes were now full of curiosity and hesitation, "You know me."

I scoff at him, "And what if I do?" I rack my brain for an excuse, "Maybe it's because your name is all over headlines. It has been for four years." His gaze on me intensifies, but his voice is soft, "Why has my name been on headlines?"

I let out an exhausted breath, "Perhaps it's because your parents are looking for you. Have you ever thought of that, smart ass?"

I watch as his features turn into a pained expression and he looks away. I immediately regret my choice of words. I clear my throat, watching him closely, "Hey, I'm sorry."

He lets out a small, hallow laugh, "You're sorry." He nods and turns back to me. He opens his mouth to speak but suddenly shuts it.

"What?" I ask, hoping he continues with his question. I watch his face closely. His jawline was as sharp as ever, possibly due to the lack of food. His cheeks were thin and scarred and his lips were chapped and bruised, covered in blood. I turn my attention to his eyes and notice him staring at me. His eyes filled with a look of recognition. I swallow, praying that he haven't caught on.

"What was your name again?"

I bite my lip, debating if I should tell him the truth or tell him a lie. I clear my throat and sit up straighter. "My name is Alisha Boles and I certainly do not belong here." I say, trying to sound as confident as I can muster. The curiosity in his eyes fall, being replaced by disappointment and sadness.

He gives me a small, uncomfortable smile, "Do you think I belong here?" My heart plummets, "No. I don't think you do, Stefan."

He opens his mouth to speak once more, but a loud and heavy footstep interrupts. I watch as his eyes go wide and he begins backing away from the door. "Stefan?" I call out.

The footsteps begin to grow closer and closer until it stops in front of me. A man looks down on me, his expression annoyed and angry. I shift under the gaze and push myself to my feet. I watch as the man turns to someone, signalling them to come.

He turns around and opens Stefan's cell door. "Please!" I hear him call out. I watch as they grip the front of his shirt into a ball, dragging him out of his room and into the hall. His eyes were filled with horror, his hands trying to tear away the man's grip.

"Leave him alone!" I shout out. The man stops temporarily in his track and turns to me. "Watch your mouth, little girl. If you know what's best for you, you better shut up." With that, he returns his focus to Stefan, dragging him down the hall.