cyanide and happiness

I don't like Christmas.

"So," Peggy said, sipping on her milkshake. She'd invited Thomas out to spend their break together and intended to have a talk with him. "You and James have any plans for the future?"

Thomas shrugged, "What do you mean?" He asked, taking a handful of chips and stuffing them in his mouth to ruin your vision of a neat clean Thomas Jefferson who consumes solid sustenance politely.

"Well, kids and all that."

"I'm not sure." Thomas said as he wiped his hands on a napkin because he still has manners. "I mean, James and I haven't talked about it. Don't you think it's too early anyway?"

"I didn't mean right away," Peggy told him with a slight shrug. "A few years down the track- or maybe even a few months."

"I'd love to have kids," he admitted. "I just don't know if I'm ready.  I don't even know if James wants kids."

"I'm sure he does." Peggy said with a little smirk. "You should just talk to him."

Thomas shrugged again, stirring his milkshake with his straw slowly. "I don't know... How would I bring it up to him?"

"You'll figure it out," Peggy told him. "Trust me."

TIME SKIPAROO

James and Thomas sat down together at the table and began eating.

"You went  out with Peggy today?" James asked his husband across the table.

"Yeah," Thomas said, nodding. Silence fell over them after that as they both lost themselves in thought. After a while, they both spoke each other's name in unison.

"You go first," James told his husband.

"Okay..well." Thomas set down his cutlery. "Do you ever... see us having kids?"

James nearly choked on his food. He was right about to ask Thomas the exact same thing, right about to bring up children. "Kids?"

"Yeah." Thomas shrugged. "Like... Adopting or something, surrogates or whatever." He muttered.

"Thomas," James said. "Of course I want kids."

Thomas looked up to his husband quickly. "Really?"

James nodded, "Really."

"Y-you don't think it's too soon?"

James shrugged a little, "I mean, I don't know." He stirred his food around his plate with his fork. "Is there really an appropriate amount of time? We both have jobs and now a house."

"Yeah.. But kids can be quite a handful," Thomas said.

"I suppose you're right," James agreed. "But they could also.. be the start of something, ya know? Something really worth it."

Thomas nodded after a short while. "You're right... Are you ready to be a father, though? I mean, are we really prepared for parenthood?"

James shrugged, "We could take classes?" He suggested. "See if we're ready and if not yet.. some time in the future?"

"Yeah, we could do that," Thomas agreed, nodding. "I'm up for it."

James smiled and Thomas smiled back. "So.. is that it?" He asked and Thomas nodded.

"Yeah..  I guess that's it." He said. "We're going to start parenting classes."

There you go it's shitty but it's what you get.