Chapter 1

~Word Count-683~

I was watching TV on my couch in Mystreet with Katelyn. She wanted to watch a documentary on Sly Stark, and it was one of the most painful things I've ever had to do. You see, Sly is one of my best friends who I haven't been allowed to see because of my Uncle Loki. I'm allowed to call and text him, but I can't see him face to face. Sly said, "Even though technically I'm not the strongest member of The Few, I'm still the leader." I internally roll my eyes and scoff. Bullshit, I've always been the leader, well that was before my uncle forced me to leave. 

I hear a knock on the door and I silently thank Irene before saying, "I'll get it." I stand up and walk over to the front door. I open it to see all of Mystreet, "Uh, hi guys?" Lucinda says, "Hi Aph. Can we come in?" I say, "Sure," and step aside. They walk past me into our house and I follow them with my eyes before wondering, what the hell? I'm so confused, what're they doing here? Katelyn pauses the TV, "What are you guys doing here?" Laurence, Dante, and Nicole stare judgementally at the TV before Lucinda says, "There was a murder." I snap to attention, "Where?" Lucinda looks surprised at my involvement, "Outside of KC's cafe, the murderer is a woman by the name of Kala Sketch." I feel the blood drain from my face and I mumble, "No fucking way...." Aaron asks in a worried tone, "Aph, you good?" I nod slowly before saying, "I have somewhere to be." 

I sprint up the stairs and pull out my old briefcase. I slide into a plain gray blazer and pencil skirt with plain 4-inch black pumps. I throw my hair up into a tight bun, and I apply basic makeup and grab my phone and notepad before walking down the stairs. I walk down the stairs and all eyes turn to me. Katelyn narrows her eyes, "Where are you going?" I say with a hint of panic in my voice, "The police station. Kala's one of my clients, I have a case to win." Their eyes widen and Laurence says, "You're not a lawyer though." I chuckle, "Google Judge Jess and Sassmau, you'll find me." He pulls out his phone and starts searching while I walk out of my front door and get into my gunmetal gray Jeep. 

My hands are sweating profusely as I walk into the police station. I walk with my head held high to the front desk. I ask in a polite tone, "Hello. My name is Jessica Odinson, I'm Kala Sketch's lawyer." The man at the desk has light brown hair, green eyes, and a sprinkling of freckles across his cheeks. He stands, "Okay then, follow me, ma'am." Oooo, a southern gentleman. He leads me through the station to an interrogation room, "She'll be in here soon, just bang on a wall if you need help, the room is not soundproof." I nod and smile, "Thank you....?" The man smiles, "Kyle." I smile brightly, "Thank you, Kyle." He leaves the room and I sit down at the table and open my briefcase. I pull out a pen and a folder. I place the pen on my right, and I keep the folder on my left while the notepad sits in front of me. 

The metal door on the other side of the room swings open. Kala walks into the room, and when she sees me, she freezes, "Jess?" I stand and she engulfs me in a hug, "Hello Kala." When we pull away I say, "I'll explain everything after the trial." She nods and we take our seats. I slip into my lawyer voice, "Okay please recount what happened." She nods and starts to tell me exactly what happened.