Chapter 8: Pricking

"Sweety wake up..." someone was rubbing my arm gently. I opened my eyes to see my mom in her work outfit. Zoey was laying beside me on the couch. It looked like it was about 5-6 a.m. "Yeah ma?"

"Is everything okay I have a bit of time before work and I just wanted to check up on you... and tell you how sorry I am."

"Mom what do- are you saying?" I raise a whisper in my sleepy voice.

"I haven't been around lately because of work and whenever I am home you are busy or out. I'm sorry that I can't be there for you like a mom should be."

"No mom no." I sat up. "I'm fine I know that you have a life too and I don't expect you to pause it for my small issues. Your a great mom you accepted me when I came out to you and you never judged me for how I live. I love you mom and I have no right to be angry at you for working hard as a single mother and all." I hugged her tightly. She sometimes thinks that I'm feeling neglected but in reality I'm old enough to deal with my own problems and she's the perfect shoulder to cry on when I feel overwhelmed.

"Oh Lexi your so strong." she hugged me back and kissed my forehead. "Tell that boy if he hurts you he's going to have to deal with one bitchy mama."

I chuckled and then remembered. "Oh yeah... me and Kyle broke up."

"I didn't mean Kyle sweety." she kissed my forehead again and then Zoey's. "Bye Lexi I'll see you this afternoon." she left. I was speechless. Moms always just know things women are so creepy.

I can't go back to sleep so I decide to get dressed and go for a walk. Don't you just love the humid but cool air of the morning? That is when your not wearing a book bag.

It's cool and comforting after a while I realize school's going to start soon. I got a text from Nate.

Nate: Need a ride? ;)

Me: I wnt u to giv Zoey a ride so tht u 2 cn tlk it out 1st n properly break up.

Nate: Aww okay :( But after school your MINE.

I stopped texting him after that. Until he breaks up with Zoey the right way I'll still feel guilty about us. Same with Kyle I need to talk to him. Just in case I'll send him a message.

Me: Kyle plz com to school 2day I rlly need to tlk to you about what happened.

I sent and got no reply. I hope he decides to come I really need to talk to him. I can't let us end like that.

I head home, grab my bag, and skip breakfast today. I walk to school and since it's breakfast time I figure Kyle should be around here somewhere. I wait in the parking lot looking for his car.

"Come on..." I say losing hope after 20 minutes.

"Lexi." I turn around and it looks like Kyle's been standing behind me for a while. I'm a little surprised though because I didn't see him drive through the gates. "I broke my window remember? My car's in the shop I had to walk here."

"O-oh yeah right um." I need to put my thoughts together for a moment. "Kyle I-" he cuts me off.

"Before you say anything, I'm sorry."

"Your sorry? But you did-" once again he cuts me off.

"I knew you liked Nathaniel to begin with so I was afraid you would have cheated on me. I over reacted when he said he saw you naked..." he took a deep breath and looked towards the wall. "I thought he seduced you into... you know. Then when you were looking at me like... like I was wrong I felt like maybe you did. I shouldn't have said what I said."

"Kyle I didn't cheat on you. I would never cheat on you. I really like you Kyle but- "

"I know we can't fix this. I know you don't want to get over him and I know I don't want to be used so that you can get over him anymore."