001

"Where did it come from?" 

Dustin's birth had opened up a whole new world for his older brother. The idea of having to share everything made no sense in an only child's mind. So, naturally, Lenny had started to ask why Dustin's Mother had left him behind, and then demanded she came to take him back. And when Claudia would explain that she too was Dustin's Mommy, and the new-born babe was staying right there with them, little Lenny had a hard time adjusting to such a reveal. 

The thought of life without the sibling that had clung to his leg for years was like thinking of himself without one of his limbs. The shift of such a thing would be hard to come around to. 

But that didn't mean there weren't moments such as this. 

The clock on the wall told him it was nearly time to drop the youngster off at the arcade, where Dustin would be meeting with his friends — Will, Lucas and (the shit-head) Mike. After everything that had happened in Hawkins the previous year, and to little Will Byers, it'd been an overwhelming surge to loom. To constantly check in on not just his brother, but the four boys. 

On everyone, really. He took more time making sure his Mother was sound asleep in her bed when he came home late or woke up early. And, recently, his trips to the arcade, back and forth, was draining his money's worth, but the little town's image of community and protection meant nothing to Lenny anymore. Not when he'd seen flashes of the Upside Down. 

Dustin's voice, loud and annoyed and growing closer, was followed by the stomping of his feet. 

"Dustin!" Lenny shouted with lingering annoyance, hating how consistent his telling off's were. Their Mother's lecture involved her smiles and patting of their cheeks, and so they — for Lenny had been Dustin once, taking advantage — never took it seriously enough. "The carpet's just been cleaned!" 

The only response he got was a high-pitched scream. A sharing trait they got — most likely from their Mother — was their need for dramatics. 

Snatching his leather jacket from the bottom of his bed, messy and not at all paid attention to sort out, he takes a moment to roam through his desk before swiping up the eight quarters that he had gathered not long ago. 

Not that he had money laying around normally. With a one-person ran household, even with her Father's help, but he had been paid his mid-month pay check the week before, and unless he was aiding their Mother in household needs, he barely touched his coin. So a lot of it was handed to Dustin, who lacked in quarters for the arcade games he was obsessed with winning in. 

A sigh comes from his lips as he shoves his door open to near barge into his brother's running figure. His hand shoots up to pull the back of Dustin's coat, "What did I just say about the carpet, Dustin?" 

The younger Henderson glances down to their feet, observing their Mother's work that Lenny had helped her do. 

( And by help, Lenny had moved things around and told her jokes to make her laugh throughout the deep clean. Claudia had flat-out refused for him to touch the carpet when he'd offered.