Blood

The slab is cold against my back. My eyes sting and I am sore from falling asleep against the marble. Standing up I kiss the ring on my finger which was as warm as ever. "I am sorry I was not able to save you my love."

Walking home I prowled in the shadows deep in thought. Maybe I could have saved her. I could have taken the brunt of that explosion had I been paying attention. I should have kept her from leaving those walls then I could have focused on protecting her city. If only I had...

Approaching the base I realize that something is wrong. There is fire in multiple places on the base. Floodlights light up the base from every angle and  about thirty black vans surround it. The government remnant has found us. I wasn't even there to warn them... shit.

I stalk in the shadows to a three story building and climb to the top of it. Scanning the area I count about 150 soldiers armed with swords and assault rifles. Wearing all black combat gear with gas masks it is hard to distinguish men or women from here. The group below me was manning a heavy machine gun turret and are aiming at  a hole in the wall of my base. I glance to the base to see my friends dragged outside by a chain, even from this height I see that they're all injured. All of them were awake except Sophie who was full of a bunch of needles. They must have drugged her.

I grab four knives in one hand and grab a single knife in the other. As I look down I see the demolition guy was sitting next to the turret playing with a grenade. As he puts it closer to his face I launch a knife that hooked the pin off of the grenade and caught him right in the eye. I run a few rooftops over and get into a crouch. The grenade goes off detonating the entire turret with it.

Standing up I take a few paces back and pull out two more knives. Running at the edge I leap over the soldiers and loose the seven knives in my hand and toss another volley of eight right before I land. A group of the soldiers still dazed from the sudden explosion try to raise their guns at me but I  throw a knife at the closest one and it sinks into his neck severing the carotid artery. I roll to the left to avoid a volley of bullets and return fire with my last seven throwing knives. Rushing forward I pull out my combat knife and eviscerate the man in front of me. Grabbing him by the neck I use the gutted soldier to block the next volley of bullets. They don't even hesitate to mow down their own people. As i drop the bullet ridden body I see everyone drop their guns and pull out melee weapons.

A woman takes a charge at me and swings for my right shoulder. I flip the knife so I hold it upside down and meet the sword and slide down it to the hilt with the blade. Grabbing both of her wrist with my other hand I pull her to the side and switch my knife to my left hand. As she stumbled I grabbed the back of her head and kneeled as I slam her helmeted head into the ground crushing both the helmet and her skull. I roll to the side and come up to grab a guy from behind and I snap his neck with one arm. I turn around and duck under a war hammer swing. I stab the man in the knee and he drops his weapon. Standing up I decapitate him and punch the guy on my right in the throat crushing his windpipe. Sheathing my knife I grab on to the war hammer and start swinging. Arcs  of blood fly about as I crush bone with every swing. And then I hit a van and fall on my stomach. What just happened I felt a sharp sudden impact against my back and I tumbled through the air into this van.