Chapter Sixty: Stampede

My command capsule opened, door striking the catwalk with a hollow metallic noise. My HUD flickered off. I wouldn't be needing it, anyway.

I stepped out onto the catwalk of the ship, breathing in the musty metallic air. I marched toward the Spartan, which hung, waiting, at the end of the hangar.

"Jackson."

I turned around to see both Dan and Lucas standing behind me, arms crossed.

I sighed, turning off my comms earpiece. The others didn't need to hear this.

"I know, I know, this is a stupid, brash idea that'll probably get me killed," I frowned. "I know Phalanx is dangerous, but hear me out."

To my surprise, I was met with a pair of grins instead.

"Go get 'em," Lucas chirped, taking me completely by surprise. "We need a stupid, lucky idea or two right now. Do what you think is best, and if it works we'll be better off for it."

"Besides," Dan added, hopping forward on his crutch, "We trust you. Use the Spartan, then destroy it."

I walked over to where the Spartan hung, entry hatch open as if in wait. Lucas said nothing as he walked to the hangar's manual controls, maneuvering the arms that held the mech so that I could reach its cockpit from where I stood on the metal catwalk.

"We're all out of duct tape," Lucas smiled, "so try to stay in one piece."

I flashed him a grin.

"See you on the other side, gentlemen."

A few quick steps later and I was sliding down the ladder into the dark, empty space of the Spartan's cockpit.

No going back now.

"Spartan is now active."

The Spartan hummed to life, and its heads-up display flickered to life as I sealed the hatch overhead.

"DNA sequence recognized," Phalanx announced. "Nuclear reactor is at full charge, Phalanx AI is online."

Maybe it was only my paranoia, but the voice of Phalanx sounded less monotonous than it had before.

"Phalanx?"

The screen flashed.

"Yes, Jackson?"

"Power up."

The screen flickered twice and changed, lines of data running across the screen.

"Weapons systems recognized," Phalanx boomed. "Detecting both plasma and rocket ammunition, six-hundred-meter range."

There was a pause, one that felt like a moment of hesitation, but seconds later a deep hum told me all I needed to know.

"Reactor online," Phalanx continued. "I am ready for combat."

I smiled and sat down in the pilot's chair, grinning. Foolhardy or not, I was going to enjoy this.

"Let me at 'em, Luke," I grinned.

Lucas chuckled over the comms.

"Dropping now."

My stomach rose into my chest as the metal floor beneath the Spartan opened to reveal the desert far below. I plunged back into battle.

Six hundred meters. Five hundred. Four hundred.

I thumbed the controls of my comms earpiece, switching it back on.

"Spartan inbound," I announced.

"What?" Kedrick barked. "Jackson, you still had other mechs! Dropping your Spartan now means you'll have no way to eject!"