Head Above Water

Head Above Water
Last September 19, 2018, Avril Lavigne released her lead single, Head Above Water from her upcoming sixth studio album of the same name. The song was written by Stephan Moccio, Travis Clark, and Lavigne herself; while being produced by Moccio and released by BMG.

Background and release
After more than a year from the release of the last single from her fifth studio album, on December 25, 2016, Lavigne announced via her Instagram account that she was working on new music for her upcoming sixth studio album.

On August 18, 2018, Lavigne posted on Instagram that new music is coming in September. At the end of August, the song "Head Above Water" was registered and Lavigne deleted almost all her pictures on Instagram.

On September 1, Lavigne shared a picture of her underwater via her social media. Several people reported that the image was related to the song "Head Above Water". On September 6, Lavigne posted a lengthy letter to her fans on her website detailing her struggle with Lyme disease in the past few years and how she overcame it. This also included a release date for "Head Above Water". She wrote on the letter about the song "I had accepted death and could feel my body shutting down. I felt like I was drowning. Like I was going under water and I just needed to come up for air. Like I was in a river being pulled in a current. Unable to breathe. Praying to God for Him to help me just keep my head above the water. To help me see through the stormy weather."

Lavigne shared a 30-second-snippet of the song on September 13, 2018.

The song was officially released on YouTube and worldwide streaming services on September 19, 2018.

"Those were the worst years of my life as I went through both physical and emotional battles. I was able to turn that fight into music I'm really proud of. I wrote songs in my bed and on the couch and recorded there mostly as well. Words and lyrics that were so true to my experience came pouring out of me effortlessly." - Lavigne on releasing "Head Above Water" as lead single.

Source: Wikipedia