Chapter 10

KEITH

I woke to a familiar scent burning in my nose. I opened my eyes to see I was face down on a bed surrounded by sheets, blankets, and pillows.

I sniffed again.

I'm home?

I sat up only to be hit by a wave of gut wrenching pain.

I gripped the sheets between my fists as my ears elongated and my spine lengthened into a tail. I grit my teeth as my body tried to change to accommodate my heat.

I have to stay in control. I can't change into a Galra. I have to control this.

I could almost feel my pheromones escaping from my pores. The overpowering aroma of wild flowers hung in the air.

"Keith? Are you alright?" My fathers worried voice reached me from the other side of the door.

I grunted as I sat up.

"Never better." I spoke through clenched teeth.

The door opened a crack. My father stepped in sniffing the air.

"That was a bad one huh?" He half smiled.

"Stay back. I-I don't want to hurt you." I gasped wiping sweat from my face.

"While it's true you could go feral especially after scenting, but you won't hurt me. Which brings me to this.....what did I tell you about that blue paladin?!" He all but shouted causing my newly heightened hearing to ring making me cringe.

"I'm sorry. I know you warned me about it, and I was weak. I scented with Lance." My tone dropped as I was overcome with a sense of longing.

I miss him.

The thought brought me up short, but before I could drive head first into the pool of "what the hell does this mean?", my father spoke.

"You wanted to mate and bond didn't you?" He asked in a softer voice.

I sniffed and whimpered as I nodded. He closed his eyes sighing heavily before sitting beside me.

"I almost-" My words were cut off by a sob.

My father draped an arm over my shoulder. I slumped into his embrace and sniffed back tears.

"It's okay. It will pass. Just give it a few days." My father ran his fingers through my hair soothing my unease.

"A few days?How can I do this every month? No wonder the females hate us." I wailed.

My father laughed at that.

"Well that may be true, but you don't have to worry about it. Once a month you can come home." My father smiled.

"Really, but what if something happens and Voltron is needed?" I asked wiping my nose on my sleeve.

"Then you will be there for them. I've seen you fly. You're the best pilot in the galaxy." My father tousled my hair resulting in a snort.

We were quiet for a moment. I exhaled deeply through my nose letting my anxiety drift away.

"So what did Shiro say when we took off?" I asked changing the subject. I leaned back on the mattress resting my weight on my palms.

A strange look crossed my father's face.

"Weeeelllll...." He squinted his eyes tilting his head to the side.

My eyes widened as I jumped to my feet.