𝐨𝐧𝐞

𝐦𝐲𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐜 𝐟𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐬, 𝐯𝐢𝐫𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐚
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

The breeze of the night quietly crept through the window cracks of the elder Salvatore's bedroom. His raven hair splayed across his eyes as he sullenly stared at his beautiful, human soulmate, Elena. She wasn't gone, he told himself countless times that night. The events of the evening utterly flooded his mind as he gazed at her stationary frame. He could hear his brother, Stefan, muttering words like 'selfish' in his own quarters, but Damon couldn't be bothered. Alaric didn't seem important when Elena was here, comatose in his bed. His twisted thoughts plagued his mind as his calloused fingers traced the Petrova doppelganger's facial features.

Damon's cogitations were interrupted by the sound of his phone ringing. Slowly, he released Elena's hand from his grip and dragged his cell phone out of his pocket. The caller ID showed the vampire the only name in the universe that he didn't want to see. "Bonnie," Damon muttered before declining the call.

"You could answer that, you know," The youngest Salvatore leaned in his brother's doorway, hands in his pockets. "Or you could be a dick. Everyone's hurting tonight, Damon. Just a thought."

"This is Elena-" Damon began but Stefan was quick to intervene.

"Elena isn't dead, but Jo is. Alaric just lost his wife and unborn children. You can't tell me he isn't important right now."

Damon stood up quickly, flashing in front of Stefan as his steel eyes narrowed. "Elena is the love of my life!"

"And Alaric's just died in his arms!" Stefan pushed his brother a few feet backwards. Damon panted, running a hand through his hair. The green-eyed vampire clearly saw his brother's bloodshot eyes become teary. "We're all grieving, Damon."

Damon silently looked up at the man. "I don't know how to live without her, Stef," Stefan walked over to him and pulled him into a tight hug as the raven-haired man let a single tear run down his face. His arms found themselves wrapped around his brother's back as he trembled. "Everything was perfect."

Stefan sighed, "Nothing's ever perfect."