Transferring Departments

No later had I flopped onto my mattress in my room than I got a notice on my phone. I groaned, not ready to deal with the world yet. I had just finished dropping off Steve, Bucky, and Sam after an interesting trip to Wakanda, and had only checked in about five minutes ago. I was hoping for a few minutes of a break, to rest my aching neck, but I opened it anyways.

It was actually not that bad, I just needed to pick up the rest of the paperwork from the Field office. I had a few things I needed to turn in before I could enlist in the system. I turned off my phone, stayed a few moments longer on my bed, then stood up and walked to the Field Department.

I had been there a few times, but not enough to be used to it yet. This part of the building was unlike any other Department, and about as different from Records as you could get. The entire place was military styled, which made sense, but startled you if you weren't ready for it. Even the Espionage Department wasn't as gung-ho about design as Field.

I walked up to the front desk, which had a line waiting in front of it. Lines at SHIELD actually weren't really a problem, since the people at the desks were the best in the country, and were very efficient about dealing with people, and keeping the lines flowing. I was only waiting for about three minutes before I reached the front.

"Papers for Raven," I told Eliza, who was helping me. She turned around, looked through the R's and handed the folder to me.

"No deadline, black or blue ink," she rattled off, and I nodded, stepping out of line before she shooed me away. That was it. It was one of the reasons I loved working here. Minimal hassle, maximum work done.

I knew better than to try and look at the forms before I got somewhere a little less busy. I had a small frame, and people as tall as 6'6" were walking all over the place. If you didn't watch your step, you could get bulldozed by some burly agent who didn't care if he ran over kids.

In case I forgot to mention, everyone here was taller than me. Everyone. One of the disadvantages of being 5'4".

I wove my way to the wall so I could get a better look around. Assuming I made it onto a Field team, I was going to be spending a bit more time here. Half of the people here were at a jog, if not a run. Probably on their way to a mission or something. The odd thing was that a lot of people were clumped in groups. I understood that the teams were supposed to trust each other, but these people seemed, I don't know, more united than the rest of SHIELD. Everyone else seemed to be isolated compared to these agents.

Walking back to Records, I decided not to think about it. I wasn't even technically in the system yet. I had other things to worry about. Agent Evans, for example. I had to be at my desk in ten minutes.

I sat down and started chipping away at my stack. It looked like I was doing matinence for the rest of the day. It wasn't so bad, because I only had about two hours before I could knock off, but mantinentce was the worst. It had the most paperwork by far, and it all had to be proofed, sorted by chronological order, and filed. Just kill me now.

I grabbed an inch of the stack and started checking for errors. Might as well get it out of the way.

I had worked for about twenty minutes before I heard Evans' door slam. Everyone looked up at his office, and our boss emerged from the double doors, red-faced and angry. "Raven, in my office, now!"

He spun on his heel and retreated back into his office and everyone stared at me. I just sighed and set down the report I was working on. I had been expecting this for a few days now, so I just walked up to meet him without a word.

I expect the others were confused, since I was one of the most reliable agents in Records, and hardly ever got into trouble. I actually got into trouble regularly, but I was good at not getting caught. Either way, Evans wasn't normally mad at me, and he actually treated me well, compared to some of the others.