Chapter Two

Picture of August on the side

March 31st

"Um, hi," someone tapped my shoulder. I turned around and smiled when I saw August.

"Hey." I blushed, hanging my head and keeping my eyes on my feet.

"So...there's this spring dance coming up a-and I-I was wondering if maybe...you would go with me?" his face was hopeful and slightly embarrassed as he tumbled over his words. I was shocked. And very, very, very happy. I played it cool.

"Yeah, sure." I breathed coolly. Sky was at my side the whole time. I had totally forgoten about her as soon as August tapped my shoulder. He nodded and walked away. I saw him jump up with his fist in the air.

"Wooohhoooo!" he screamed. I was very pleased with myself. The fact that he was nervous just made me freak. I turned back to Sky who had a smile on her face.

"Oh. My. Gosh!" I started jumping. Sky put her hands on my shoulders to stop me. I could tell she was happy for me, but still upset about Grayson. He still hadn't talked to her for weeks. This is their first break, and they really love each other. They seemed very protective of the other as if something bad might happen at any moment.

"Oh, Sky." I say, sympathy crawling into my voice. She shook her head.

"Please, don't. I don't think I can handle it." she sounded so different, so...depressed. I could tell she was going to cry, if it wasn't now, it would be when she got home. She's been through a lot. Her little brother had been murdered a little over a year ago and she still hasn't gotten over it, neither has her family. That's all I really knew about Sky, we were only friends for about a year, but we we were best friends instantly.

I just nodded and walked to our next class.

April 3rd

I was walking in the hallway after school, helping Mrs. D again with hanging posters for the dance. When I put when on the wall next to the art class, I saw Grayson coming out. I immediately waved him over. He hesitated, probably knowing what I had to say. But he still came.

"Mrs. Draid," I called to her, "I'll be right back." She was occupied. I made Grayson follow me to the empty cafeteria. I sat at our lunch table, Grayson following. He sat down across from me.

"What?" he asked dryly.

"Why won't you talk to Sky? It's been more than a month now." I raised my eyebrows, perplexed.

"Because." he said.

"Dude, seriously?" I was getting annoyed. "All this because of a little crush? She loves you, Gray. She wouldn't be bawling her eyes out everyday if she didn't." I crossed my arms over my chest and waited for his response. He sighed, looking sad.

"I know." his voice cracked. "I know she does."

"Then go back to her, she needs you." I kept going. "And, I'm pretty sure she wants to go to the dance with you." He smiled at this.

"Yeah." he rose from his seat and I copied him. He walked over to me and gave me a hug. I patted his back. "Thanks. You're a great friend." He looked at me and he had tears in his eyes.

"Grayson, why are you crying?" I asked him, trying to remain serious. He looked amused but still sad.

"You're just that good, doll." he smiled before running off, leaving me laughing.

April 5th

August came over my house. It was Saturday and everyone was home. My father answered the door, my mother invited him inside. I stood there awkwardly while they chatted in the living room. I gave up and went to get some water from the kitchen.

"Oooohh he's cute." I recognized my older sister's voice. "Treat him well, or else I might have to butt in."

"Haha, you are so funny, Anna." I said in monotone.

"Relax, I was kidding." she smiled. Her dark blonde hair and blue eyes gleamed in the light. She was wearing her bathrobe, clearly just having woken up. We looked different but the same. We had the same piercing blue eyes, but my hair was light red. Not red-red but orange, like a ginger.

Someone else walked into the kitchen, our mother.

"That boy of yours is very sweet. I like him. I hope you two have fun at the dance," her voice became scolding, "but not too much fun, I'm way too young to be a grandmother." She said that just as August walked in and my mouth fell to the floor.

"Uhh... Mother!" I was astonished and embarrassed.

"What? It's true." she said innocently. I shook my head.