Chapter 3

Hannah's POV:

"Ash!" I run up to my best friend and jump into his arms. I can't believe I'm finally reunited with him after a whole year away at college. Juliard, my dream since I was a little girl has finally come true. The downside is that it's all the way across the country from my home.

"I've missed you so, so much." He hugs me tightly and tears start to well up in my eyes. I quickly wipe them away before he could notice.

"So, how has college been treating you?"

I let out a small chuckle but find my smile replaced with a frown. I've felt really bad for Ashton because I went off to study my dream and become successful while he was stuck at home. He has such an amazing voice and he kills on the drums but no one has ever realized it. He also couldn't accept to any colleges because of his family and their financial issues.

"Um, good." I paste a grin back on my face and start looking around awkwardly, not knowing what to say.

"Hey, I have so much more to tell you, but I think we should get going. This airport is crazy busy today!" I nod in agreement and start walking toward baggage claim.

Once all of my bags are stuffed into his trunk, we're off to his apartment. It's nice to be back.

The silence is finally broken 20 minutes into the car ride.

"So, I've been meaning to tell you something. I'm joining a band." Ashton's adorable dimples appear and I squeal out in excitement.

"This is so good for you! Are you singing? And playing drums? Tell me!"

"I'm happy you're excited. I'm going to be their drummer. The group has been doing covers on YouTube for a while so people know them."

"Do they know you can sing?"

His silence answers my question.

"I was going to tell them I just-"

A sigh escapes my mouth and I look down. "You've got to start telling people, Ash. You have an amazing gift that you need to show the world."

"I know, I know. I'm sorry."

We're quiet for the rest of the ride. I mean, what is there to say?

•••

Jessica's POV:

I think it's that time again. It happens every few months, depending on how everything plays out. It gets harder and harder to deal with things, you feel really stressed all the time and like there's a big weight on your soul. I've hurt a lot more recently. I can't expect not to be teased since I look like a living piece of dog shit. I can't even look in a mirror anymore without feeling sick. The pattern lately has been odd, though. It's happening more and more frequently, maybe it comes with age. I bet if I were to live a few more years like this it would just end up constant. But, if I ever get that far I'll be sure that I end it in a snap. Everyone's got ropes. Everyone's got knives. Everyone's got pills.

I want to wait though. I can handle this. I hope. I guess it doesn't help that I basically have no friends though. No one cares about me. Luke doesn't count because he's practically forced to. Our families are best friends, have been for quite some time.

It's Saturday, so I got to stay in bed all day. My clock reads 3:27, and I groan miserably. A yawn travels up my throat but I'm too tired to open my mouth.

I hear the front door slam downstairs and assume my mom went to the store. The voice inside my head is telling me to get up and shower, and I finally met it have its way. I slip off my warm pjs and step into the even warmer water. My muscles relax and it actually feels better. After a few minutes of just standing there, I start to wash my hair and body.

When I get out of the shower I wrap a towel around my naked body and pad over to my phone. 8 missed calls, 42 texts, all from Luke. Shit.

I quickly call him back, hoping he'll pick up. Each ring multiplies my anxiety. Did he get hurt?

"Jess? Oh thank god."

"Luke! Are you okay? What's wrong?"

"I have some awesome news, the band is having a party on Friday and you have to come, they really want to meet you."

A party?

"Jesus, Luke I thought you died or something."

"Sorry, so what do you think?"

I guess it couldn't hurt.

"Fine."

He shrieks and I pull my phone away from my ear. A party. I've only been to a few parties before, and they didn't end well.

"I'll text you the address and time, but don't you dare change your mind. Okay?"

"Okay, okay."

I hang up and press my palms into my temples. How am I going to do this? I eye my blade in an open drawer. No, no, Jess. You have no reason for this. But I do. The war inside my head is killing me. I can't take it.

One cut. That's all it takes for me to suddenly drop the bloody razor blade and rush to get a towel. This is bad. It doesn't usually look like this.

I press the towel over my arm and look for some gauze and tape, but have no luck. The towel has turned red and I'm getting light headed. My feet rush me to the sink and I try to wash the blood away, but it won't stop. I'm balling because I don't know what to do. My legs give out and I fall on the floor, helpless. I try to reach my phone above me, and I get it. My bloody fingers find Luke's contact. Everything's so blurry.

"Hello? Jessica?"

It's so faint.

"I don't think this is supposed to happen, Luke. I.. I don't usually bleed this much."

My eye drift to the ceiling and everything is spinning.

" Oh my god, Jessica! I'll be right there, keep your eyes open, okay?!"

But I can't. My eyelids flutter closed and i'm left unconscious in a puddle of blood. I'm sorry.