Let's Talk: Descriptions

Your description is going to be one of the first things your readers will see. So you better make it good. An intriguing description paired with a good-looking cover (see part 1) can help get your book on the hot list.

If your book isn't selling, try tweaking your description and cover. A good description makes the reader actually want to read your book.

Let's dive right in- what makes a great description?

Well, one line is not a description. That's a line. If your book blurb currently only has one line, fix it. You want to give readers a little taste of what's to come, and a single line of text won't do that.

However, don't give too much away either. A wall of text that basically summarizes the entire story sets you up for failure.

I would say that your blurb should be between 100-300 words depending on how long it is, and the genre.

You also want to suck readers in with the first line of your description. There are many ways to do this. My personal favorite is to start with an attention-grabbing hook or question. A question that makes the reader think. Under no circumstances should you put a generic Y/N question that doesn't get the reader's mind pumping.

Another way to grab readers with that very first line is to put a quote in. Use a quote from your story that invokes curiosity and makes people want to find out more. Dialogue directly from your book can be great too, but it's not for me.'

Remember, your goal is to get that potential reader from the description to chapter one as smoothly as possible.

As you write on, make sure to introduce your main character/s. The sooner you introduce your main character/s, the better.

Also, don't forget to tell us what the conflict is.

This is a big one. CONFLICT. Conflict and drama. Establish the main conflict, a description can become bland and boring without a taste of conflict. As much as we may like to deny it, we humans are suckers for drama. We like reading about it. Why? Because it's interesting.

Good conflict = interesting blurb.

The end of your description is just as important as your beginning. You can end with another thought-provoking question or something that will keep readers wondering. Testimonials from friends and family are also great for establishing trust with your readers. 

Have these tips been helpful to you? Tell me in the comments below!

  I hope you've enjoyed this third part of Read This for Wattpad Success: A Guide. Vote, comment, and tag your friends who might find this interesting. Check out my new book The Risked if you have the time, I'd really appreciate it. Happy writing!