Chapter 5: Unwelcomed Obligations *being edited

Vote so that I know the story is being enjoyed and so that I don't stop and just trash it. Please enjoy! Oh and sorry for any grammer mistakes.

"Mr. Kusack?" I spun around to face my English teacher. "I didn't do it I swear!" The words left my mouth before I could stop them. I spoke nervously, but was hopping he wouldn't ask about the #2 pencils we used as darts against the ceiling, on the last day of class, junior year, before school let us out for summer vacation. The journalism team and I were bored and we decided to distract ourselves by competing against each other to see who could jam the most pencils into the pore like ceiling. However, we somehow missed a very important detail, the fact that we had no way of removing the pencils because they were high up. When class was dismissed, we all fled the room before anyone took notice. I was stressing over it at the beginning of summer vacation, expecting to get a call from the school. But as time went on I was able to relax and forget all about our stunt.

"No need to worry Ms. Dawn, I am fully aware that my journalism class, including yourself, are the culprits behind the pencil incident. Needless to say, it was quite ingenious! Of course, I hope for the sake of the janitors and my credibility, that this incident does not repeat itself. Do you understand Ms. Dawn?" He asked, with serious affirmation. It was rare to see Mr. Kusack looking pensive, because he was one of the most laidback teachers at Millerton High.

"Of course." I responded, without a hint of humor so as to assure him of my sincere remorse and that I grasped the seriousness of our debacle.

"Perfect," he responded. "Returning to the issue at hand... I need you replace Harry on the sports section of the paper. He had his appendix removed and is unable to move about for a couple of weeks." Mr. Kusack pleaded.

"No way Mr. Kusack. You know I only take pictures. I am not a writer." I complained.

"Of course I know, however, you forget Ms. Dawn that I am an English teacher and have asked your previous teachers for samples of your writing. I have also confirmed that you are an 'A' student and an excellent writer. It is of the utmost urgency that you accept for I have no one else to ask. The first paper of the year is out this Friday. This school thrives on knowing how well the football team is training for the upcoming season." He explained, as though I was unaware of how football-crazed this school was.

Part of the reason was because of Nicholas Night, the star quarterback of our school. The fact that he was handsome aided the trend. Large sums of the fanatics were his faithful admirers. It was almost occult-like and disturbing.

"Gosh, what was I thinking? After all, we must give the people what they ask for right Mr. Kusack?" I replied sarcastically.

"Very entertaining Ms. Dawn. I assume this means you'll do it?" He stated rather than asked.

"It seems I have no other choice. Imagine how disappointed Barbie Ken's fans would be if we did not deliver news about his football career? Oh, the horror!" I continued dramatically, making Mr. Kusack chuckle until we were interrupted by a separate male voice.

"I believe my fans would be horribly disappointed. Don't you both agree?" Asked the voice venomously from behind me. His unannounced presence left me stunned and an awkward silence ensued. Of course, I could recognize Nick's voice without having to look at him. 

Typical luck of mine to be caught making fun of a person by the same individual I was mocking. I decided to play it cool and act indifferent. I refused to turn and face him; after all there was nothing to feel guilty about. I was only voicing my opinions, yet why did I feel a little guilty? Who am I kidding? It was most likely because I knew I was being spiteful and deep down, past all my pridefulness, I was embarrassed and afraid to have been caught, like a mouse within a trap. Not that I'd ever admit it, not even to myself. DENIAL was my forte.