Chapter Five

Chapter Five 

I wildly scan the crowds for any sign of Niklaus. It was in the middle of the day so of course everyone and their families decided to come outside and walk in the warm weather. I barely even heard the door to the sandwich shop close behind me because out of the corner of my eye, I saw Klaus' figure going inside what looked like a rundown herb store that was on the other side of the road.

            I hastily pushed my way past a close couple holding hands in order for me to get to the front door. I ignored their insults and squeezed between a group of teens walking towards me.

            When I finally got to the herb store I stood outside wondering what a girl like me would ever do in a store like that chasing after a guy like Klaus, and just how weird all this would look from another sane person's point of view.

            The store had the kind of dark feel that I got from Klaus and as soon as I stepped into the store I instantly felt like I was in a dream. My actions were somewhat blurred and the dim lighting made it hard for me to make out the floor. The people who came here were definitely not "my kind" as Klaus would say.

            Small light bulbs hung from the ceilings without protection, casting a bright but minimal lighting. Creepy shadows formed on the floors that made my skin crawl. The sun from outside didn't even enter the building, as if not just by the thin slices of pale wood but something else, something deeper was blocking it.

            "Can I help you?" A sharp voice spoke from behind me. I clutched my chest as if to keep my heart from falling out. I turned around to see a lady suddenly at the cashier's.

             I felt so out of place. The cashier lady obviously noticed.

            "Uhm, no thanks. I-I thought I saw s-someone coming in here," I stuttered.

            The lady squinted her dark eyes at me. "You have obviously misthought. No one has come before you."

            I looked at the dusted products of herbs and thought just how right she was. I wouldn't even be surprised if Jesus himself once decided to come in here.

            The lady squinted her dark eyes at me again and the next thing I know, I'm leaving the building as if unwillingly.

            Could she be what Klaus is? (What even is Klaus?)

            I can't fully say it would surprise me; the lady sure did look the part.

            So if Klaus didn't go in there then where did he go?

            I walked between crowds until I was on the route back to my aunt's apartment. Hopefully I'll find him or better yet, he'll find me.

            Hours later I was sat behind one of the apartment's windows in the small living room, reading a National Geographic magazine that I had bought when I was boarding the plane here. I've only read it three times but I wanted to make sure I soaked up every word and corner. I smiled at my very first memory of the famous magazine. I was a little nine year old when my whole addiction started. It was partially dad's fault for fueling my passion by buying a whole safari outfit that I practically lived in until I was eleven.

            I was sipping on my hot cocoa when I looked down out my window and saw a very familiar person's back. It was Klaus. He seemed to be in a very animated conversation with another man. The man's voice was rough and loud enough for me to pick up on the anger the two had for each other. I quickly gulped down the rest of my drink and ran wildly down to the ground floor.