Chapter Twelve

Theodore, Lily, and Heather insisted on driving them to the airport. It was quite a sorrowful goodbye, as Lux had felt like she had just started to get to know her siblings again. 

"It was so nice to meet you," Lily cooed as she gave Lux what she felt was a very awkward hug on her end. "I'll see you at the wedding. Don't forget!"

"Wouldn't miss it for the world," Lux said sincerely. Lily moved on to wish Blaise and Jade goodbye as Heather stepped forward. She threw her arms affectionately around Lux.

"Promise to take me on a ride on your bike when I visit?" she grinned. Lux held her close. 

"We can try and recreate the dirty cop trick just for you," Lux teased. Heather giggled.

Theodore was last. Lux hugged him for the longest and even kissed his cheek. 

"Call me once you land," he advised. Lux nodded. He pulled away and looked her square in the face. He smiled sadly. "It was nice to meet you, Lux Labelle."

Lux felt as if she might cry. She lifted her chin bravely. "I'll see you again soon, Theo."

"Go," Theodore said, although Lux could see it pained him. "You're going to miss your flight." 

She smiled at the three of them one more time, even walking backwards a few steps so she could remember this moment forever. Then, Lux took the hands of Blaise and Jade and left the same way she had ten years ago- without looking back. 

As they waited in line to board the plane, Jade looked up at Lux. 

"We don't have to go back like, ever again, do we?" she asked. Lux ran her fingers through her air. 

"What, you don't like haunted houses?" Lux laughed and faced the doorway in front of them. "No," she answered finally. "We're never coming back."  

The End