Chapter Two

Solaren was right. This was painful. Even with his eyes closed, the light burned. No, it was not as terrible as some say the sun is when it shines outside their dark home, but it was still excruciating. He hoped there was not much longer to this punishment, he knew that his mother and sister would not allow him to go blind, but they did want results. The initial point of this torture was to force him to comply with his mother's wishes, and now that he has resisted for so long, they just want a reaction. They wanted to hear him scream. Solaren knew what he had to do to get relief.

       But he didn't. He refused to give in to these women. Yes, it was foolish of him to hold out, he knew that the pain he was in would only get worse as time went on, but he knew if he gave in and got the relief he wanted so badly, he would be forced to kill an innocent man. Solaren would not kill an innocent man in cold blood.

       The light grew a little brighter, and he did his best to block it out. He tried pulling his hands free for the hundredth time, but the rope was secure. "Dear Solaren, you do not have to endure this." his mother's voice echoed around the large room he was in. "All you have to do is follow my instructions, and you will be free of this."

       He heard footsteps behind him. It must be the human conducting the punishment, he thought, for these foot falls were quite loud and heavy, in dramatic contrast to the light inpatient footsteps of his mother and sister in the far corner of the room. He knew that they were there, and he also knew that they were not looking at him. Even with the hoods of their cloaks pulled down low over their eyes, they could not look directly towards where he sat, in direct light.

       The footsteps of the human servent stoped directly behind him, and he heard his mother say, "Open them." in a bord tone. He saw the twin shadows of the human's hands as they came into view, blocking out the terrible light for a few glorious seconds, before they pried his eyes wide.

                                               *************

       He sat there for what seemed like hours, forced to stare into the light, his sensitive eyes burning. He was contemplating giving in when the light abruptly faded, leaving him blinking in the sudden blackness. He noticed his mother and sister standing before him, and was initially relieved that he was not blind.

       "You have proven me wrong Solaren." his sister said. "I didn't think you had it in you to withstand that, but, then again, you were always full of surprises. Do you still refuse to do as we have asked?"

        "I will not kill an innocent man." Solaren stated simply.

       Shamina turned to their mother, "Should we take him to the council? Perhaps they could make him reconsider." she said "Or perhaps they will just sentence him to abandonment." she added with a cruel smile.

       "I would rather be abandoned" he spat.

       Their mother held up a hand to silence them. "We will go to the Grand Hall," turning to Solaren she added, "you are in the council's capable hands now."