Chapter 33

I wake up with the bed empty again. For a second I am astonished. Really? Theo has the nerve to leave me here, again? But then the sound of water running registers and I realize he's in the bathroom, doing whatever Theo does in the morning.

That's when it hits me. The split second of gut wrenching pain I just caused myself doesn't happen with a guy you don't have feelings for. But last night wasn't Theo, at least not the Theo that was mine for those few months. And how much can a single man change in six months?

I stare at the ceiling, allowing my thoughts to envelope me. Theo has warped my emotions into a roller coaster of doubt. I thought that I was over him. I continually think I'm over him. But then I do this dumb thing and fall for him all over again every single time our eyes meet. So why do I continue to deny myself the right of loving him?

Then the answer basically pops up like a light bulb on the table next to me. Theo's phone buzzes, Shai's contact illuminating the screen.

Does God have to torture me more? Is he trying to rub it in my face that he has a new girlfriend or whatever Shai is to him?

This is a sign Haley. This is a sign.

Theo shows up around the corner now, holding the sample bottle of mouth wash in one hand. His mouth twitches when he sees me.

"What are you thinking about?" his melodic voice tears me from my thoughts.

"Nothing."

He walks over to me, sitting on the side of the bed, it sinks under his weight. "You always get this look on your face when you're thinking about something serious. What is it?"

I sit up, pushing myself to the top of the bed, creating noticeable distance between me and Theo. "You won't get offended if I ask you a question will you?"

"Not at all, what is it?"

"You and Shai," I start but then shake my head, not wanting to continue.

His eyes lock with mine. "What about me and Shai?"

I begin to stammer, completely embarrassed. What if I ask him and he thinks I'm obsessed with his life and his relationships? Or even worse, what if I ask him and he confirms it? What will I say then? What will I do?

"In case you're wondering, Shai and I are very good friends."

"But like, are you more than friends?" I stare down at my hands. Locking and unlocking my fingers around each other.

"Theo," I start but he cuts me off.

"Haley, we're friends now, aren't we?"

"That's the problem," I say to myself.

"What's the problem?"

I shake my head, throwing my bare legs over the side of the bed and walking to the ground where my once soaked clothes lay. They're still damp, but decent enough to wear.

"You're not gonna answer me?"

Ignoring him I turn my back, slipping the pants on first then removing Theo's shirt and replacing it with my own.

"She called you," I inform him in the most official of voices. "You might want to call her back."

The bed squeaks as he stands up. My back is still to him but I can hear as he slides his phone off the table, then the clicking of buttons, then the distant hum as he waits for her to pick up. I can't make out what her voice is saying but I know she has answered because there's a sudden mood change in Theo.

"Yeah everything's fine. We'll be there in a couple of hours.... What no!.... Shai I swear to god." He laughs his contagious laugh and I can hear her perfectly raspy one through the phone. "I promise!... I am not full of shit." He laughs again. "You know me better than anyone.... Yes, I promise."

I cough, trying to remind him that I'm still here before his conversation turns all lovey dovey. He continues his banter though, completely ignoring my presence. At least I know where I stand.

I spy his keys on the table so I grab them. "I'll be in the car," I say but I'm sure he didn't hear me.

This chapter is lame and short but thanks to all of the people who contacted me, I now have some great ideas for the future. I wish i could give you all a shoutout!

QOTC
What is your favorite animal?