Chapter 2-Grace

My eyes blinked awake as I realized I was alive. I peered around me, and I was at the lake again. I was sitting by the riverside, and my stuff was still here. But Tiffany was not. She must have gone home, or maybe all of this was a dream, and I fell asleep at the creak. I look up at the gray glowing sky, it is about 6 am. My feet are still in the lake, and now they are wrinkly.

They look like prunes. My hair has grass in it. If you took out all the grass in my hair, it could make a bird's nest. Otherwise, my hair itself looks like a bird's nest. Sitting up, I admire the view. In the morning, the lake looks so calming, and it smells like the earth after it rains I love how relaxing it is. If you are careful enough, you could see deer running across the land, prancing very happily.

I realize that it is dawn, and I need to get home before my parents notice I am missing. I walk over to my bike and see something lying right by it. It appears to be a half-eaten tangerine. It smells like oranges squeezed to its' pulp. I remember the taste of it, like a sweet but kind of sour fruit. I picked it up, and it is bumpy yet smooth. It looks like someone ate it, then littered it. I threw it out of my way, so I do not run over it with my mountain bike.

Swinging my backpack over my shoulders, I get my bike out of the way. I hop on my bike, ready to go home as the wind blew in my sleepy face. I spot a red thing sticking out of the tree my bike was propped up against. Leaning over, I pull it out of the tree. A red leather journal is what it appears to be. I check my bag to see if it is mine. My journal is in my backpack, so I open the book to know the name.

The name is written in red, but I am not surprised by that. I am surprised to see who wrote it. me. My name is written on the cover of the book. I look at every page, but there is only one written on it. There is about a paragraph written, then some random combination of numbers. This is all it says in the book, "So, I really wanted a car, but my mother told me that I already had a good car. I want to plot how to get a car. I decided that I just need a job." Then the combo of letters underneath the paragraph read,

"|1,1|3,2|6,1|6,3|9,5|10,1|22,1|22,2|26,1|30,3|add an S|" I don't quite know what the numbers mean yet but I will try to figure it out. On my way back home, down the narrow dirt road in the dark, I put the journal in my backpack, to study what the words and combinations mean later.

About six to ten minutes later I arrive at my house. I set my bike against the sturdy window and open it very slowly. As I climb into my room, I noticed that all the lights were still off. I take a sigh of relief. Gently, I set my bag by my pink dresser, and spring back into bed. Needing more sleep, I closed my eyes and went into a deep blank dream.

Bang! The sound startled me awake. I turn my head slowly and get up to look out the window. Bang! Then I see a horrifying sight. A monster stares at me from the window with its' beady eyes. I have seen this monster a billion times. It stares with anger at me. The name of this monster is, and you will know the name. My parents. I am horrified. Did they find out? Why are they at my window? How are they going to punish me?

All these answers are unknown until they talk to me. My eyes are as wide as they can get. I slowly open the window, tank but still shaken at the fact they might know, "What are you doing?" I asked, trying not to sound scared, but end up sounding annoyed. "This is our new way of waking you up when you sleep in." I took a deep sigh of relief. What a stupid idea, but now I know that I am not in trouble!

I responded and got out of bed. I finally got the urge to get up and get dressed for the day. Never will I sneak out again! Okay, so maybe that is not even remotely true, but I can think it is.

As I was eating my bagel with whipped cream on it (I know that's weird but it's delicious to me)for breakfast, I looked out the window like I always do. Even though I knew Tiffany was okay, I still wondered why she left me all alone in the woods, after almost drowning. Was there an emergency so horribly tragic that she had to leave me?